Shooting well in Progressive scan

How to shoot best high-definition video in various specific situations, regardless of camcorder model. Accessories: tripods, stabilizers, lights...
Doughie
Global Moderator

Shooting well in Progressive scan

Post by Doughie »

I thought this article from dvuser.co.uk was interesting and useful. These days more people own machines that can shoot in progressive-scan modes, whether it's a 'traditional' camcorder that has a 24p, 25p or 30p mode, or you have a D-SLR that has video capability (these will all be progressive-scan mode).

here's the article:
http://www.dvuser.co.uk/content.php?CID=208
Last edited by Doughie on 19 Sep 2010 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: Shooting well in Progressive scan

Post by Stephan »

Excellent! Well, there's strong prejudice against shooting interlaced - that's a whole debate in itself - but once you set this argument aside and temporarily forgive the author's bias, his tutorial and tips are very interesting.
lenshead

Post by lenshead »

Nice article, the panning and tilting at middle speed is problematic but if you want that so called film look narrowing the depth of field it is the way to go.... for me i like the big, see the whole picture kind of shots. Close ups and compressed crowd shots with out of focus backgrounds are all part of the product but i still like to see every blade of grass, window washer washing a window kind of shots if wide and panned right you dont see the jerk. "show me where you are and let me feel like I'm there" kind of thing

I guess I'm a testosterone-driven old fart on a mission : )

OT... anybody seen BBC's newswipe Charlie Brooker - "How To Report The News" on youtube it has the typical shooting style that news uses, the swoosh pan of crowds in the middle has that look of progressive or could be effects... its also a bit funny
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

lenshead wrote:OT... anybody seen BBC's newswipe Charlie Brooker - "How To Report The News" on youtube it has the typical shooting style that news uses, the swoosh pan of crowds in the middle has that look of progressive or could be effects... its also a bit funny
Well i just checked it out on youtube and yes pretty funny BUT at the same time so accurate !