LANC adaptor

How to shoot best high-definition video in various specific situations, regardless of camcorder model. Accessories: tripods, stabilizers, lights...
mkhatib

LANC adaptor

Post by mkhatib »

Hi,

I have a odd question hopefully someone has a solution. I currently have a Sony HDR-CX160 camcorder with a Sony VCT-60AV tripod. My Sony camcorder went bad (the SD memory slot pins got bent so I can't insert the SD memory anymore without getting an error message on the screen) so I decided it's time to move up to a prosumer camcorder either Canon XA10 or XA20 since I am doing more video recording on a weekly basis so here is my problem, I love the Sony VCT-60AV tripod especially the remote handle and would like to continue to use it but I discovered that it uses a 10 pin din plug and everyone else is pretty much using the 2.5mm plug, so my question is there an adapter that I can purchase that will convert a 10 pin DIN to a 2.5mm plug? I have found the reverse where you can get a female 2.5mm to a female 10 pin DIN to plug into the Sony but I want to go the other way around where I can use the VCT-60AV with the Canon camcorder.

Thanks,
Mazen
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: LANC adaptor

Post by acgold7 »

It's a great question. I have not seen anything like this. I think they think everyone has the opposite situation. I myself have the older tripod and the 2.5mm to D-plug adapter to go into a newer cam.

I think most people update their cams more often than they update their tripods, which is sort of silly when you consider the relative cost. But cams get markedly better over time and tripods remain relatively stable (pun intended).
Adam
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

Its a good point Adam is making about tripods etc.

On a related item -- i shot on a borrowed Manfrotto 701 HDV fluid head about a week ago and was super impressed with it, especially considering it only costs around US$160! Tripods, and video fluid heads are really important to smooth shooting. You dont have to spend huge money to get a good result.
mkhatib

Post by mkhatib »

Thanks for your replies.
I guess I will have to live without the remote but it's really wonderful, just surprised that I am the only one looking for this solution and disappointed that their plug is not compatible with other cams.

Thanks again.
Mazen
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

It's par for the Sony course. Why don't you just buy a new remote for your existing tripod? Or use the wireless remote that came with the cam?

To be fair, it's probably a pretty rare scenario that someone would be using a Sony tripod with a non-Sony cam.
Adam
mkhatib

Post by mkhatib »

I have looked at new remotes and so far none of them are as nice or good as the Sony. You are right unusual for someone to have a Sony Tripod for a non-Sony camera. I like the way they did it because I can not only zoom in and out but also move the camera around at the same time. The wireless remote might be nice but won't let me move the camera. I just wish they had made it a universal remote and not lock me into their brand. Sony was my first camcorder but now that it broke and I have learned a lot since I first used it about 2 years ago I figured it would be time to upgrade to a prosumer camcorder and I seem to be leading toward Canon XA20 maybe still not sure yet. So I may end up using Sony tripod without the remote until I figure something better.

Thanks again.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

I guess it's a matter of personal taste, but having had dozens of these things, including the Sonys, I think the Manfrottos are vastly superior to anything Sony has made. I happen to think the Sony Zoom lever is backwards on all their remotes, but that's just me. The Manfrotto RC remote (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... emote.html) fits any tripod and will work fine with any cam you choose. Any LANC remote will let you pan and zoom at the same time if it's tripod-mounted.
Adam