Playing video on a laptop

How to shoot best high-definition video in various specific situations, regardless of camcorder model. Accessories: tripods, stabilizers, lights...
Tony

Playing video on a laptop

Post by Tony »

Hello,

I need to do a webcast, and to increase the quality of the video I want to use the HDV Sony 1080i, on my lap top, in the web conference tool (Webinars) but I do not know how to do it. Can someone help me?
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: Playing video on a laptop

Post by Stephan »

Hello, welcome to our forums!

It's difficult to answer your question without knowing which tool you're using...

Windows has built-in support for Standard Definition (DV) camcorders (or an HDV camcorder set to output SD), so you can use them like a webcam. But for High Definition, this depends on each software tool you're using, and whether or not they support HDV transmitted live in real-time over the Firewire interface.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Hi Stephan,

The tool I'm using is called Webinars (it's an Adobe platform). It seems that if I use the software SplitCam I can use the cam with the video conference tool (Webinars), although I have been able to use my cam with Splitcam.

Otherwise you're saying that I can set my cam as SD. Will the quality be better than a webcam?

Thanks for your help.

Tony
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

I did a quick search... If I understand you correctly, the tool you are using is Adobe Connect or Adobe Connect for Webinars? This seems to be a complex product (technically speaking), they even set up a whole community website dedicated to it: Forums - Adobe Connect User Community. I suggest you search that forum for 'camcorder', there's a bunch of discussions already on how to use a camcorder with it.

Is SD better than a webcam? Well, they are about the same resolution I think (PAL = 768x576 square pixels), so it would only fill 1/4 of your display's surface roughly. Not much of a difference.

Is a real camcorder better than a webcam? Oh yes absolutely, for optical quality and colors. But a webcam is probably wider angle too (which is quite useful). So, if you have a camcorder already, just do the test - it might be fun! But if you don't have one already, don't buy one for that purpose because apparently not all camcorders are able to work with this Adobe product (it doesn't seem even documented).