NP F950 Sony Battery false reading on viewfinder

How to shoot best high-definition video in various specific situations, regardless of camcorder model. Accessories: tripods, stabilizers, lights...
doroteo arango

NP F950 Sony Battery false reading on viewfinder

Post by doroteo arango »

I bought a new, Sony factory NP F950 L battery last year for my Sony HDR FX7 camcorder
When I started using it, I noticed that the battery charge reading number in the LCD screen and viewfinder read a full battery charge [battery was left charging overnight], but after 30 0r 40 minutes the camera powered off.
I returned that battery and purchased a second one, which started developing exactly the same problem.

I tried an experiment and I moved the "Power" switch in the camera from "Camera" position to the to "VCR" position, to my surprise the battery functions well and reads the correct charge IN THAT POSITION,…is there a setting I’m not using correctly?

I would appreciate your opinion on the subject.
CF
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: NP F950 Sony Battery false reading on viewfinder

Post by acgold7 »

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I think there are two possible issues: That model is two generations old and has been out of production for several years now; the current model is the 970. So it's possible these have been sitting on the shelf for years and have reached the end of their useful lives. (Time is a factor with these, not just charge cycles.) Are you sure these are not refurbished or reconditioned?

Or, it's possible these are counterfeit if not purchased directly from Sony or an authorized dealer.

It's also possible that the 950 lacks the intelligent infolithium circuitry of the 970 that these cams were designed to operate with. But that wouldn't explain why all is well in VCR mode.
Adam
doroteo arango

further detaRe: NP F950 Sony Battery

Post by doroteo arango »

I tried an experiment and I moved the "Power" switch in the camera from "Camera" position to the "VCR" position, to my surprise the battery functions and reads the correct charge IN THAT POSITION, but after a while it also turns itself off.

One more piece of additional information.

If I turn the camera off for a few minutes, then turn it on again the camera will power again for a few minutes then turn off by itself again….then the cycle starts all over again.
We tested the voltage: the F950 reads “0 volts” [this battery came with the camera, all brad new]
The F570 reads “6.6volts”
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

To my knowledge the FX7 has never shipped from Sony with anything but the 570 included. From where did you buy the 950s and your FX7?

In the absence of further data I'm going to stick with my theory about ancient, outdated or counterfeit 950s, as there is as yet no evidence to suggest any other culprit and your most recent report is consistent with this theory.
Adam
doroteo arango

My mistake

Post by doroteo arango »

acgold7 wrote:To my knowledge the FX7 has never shipped from Sony with anything but the 570 included. From where did you buy the 950s and your FX7?
YOU are correct, it was my mistake the camera came with the F570 , NOT the F950

DA
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

So, again, where did you get the 950s from?
Adam
doroteo arango

Post by doroteo arango »

I bought the 950 from a private seller, one thing I noticed on the 950 is that it doesn't have the "L" stamped on the side.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

So I think we have our answer, and your very first sentence in your first post isn't quite right. Quite possibly not new, Sony, factory or L series.

I always buy batteries only from B&H, only brand new Sony, factory sealed. No exceptions. For the FX7 it would be the 970, nothing older.

Batteries are too important to cheap out on.
Adam
doroteo arango

Post by doroteo arango »

I can see that possibility with the F950, but I have the same problem with the Sony F570, which was included with the camera.
I'm starting to suspect it could be something related to the camera itself.
I've done a lot of experiments with the two batteries today and I keep getting the same consistent problems on BOTH
I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

This is the first you've mentioned that this problem occurs with the 570 as well. That would have been good to know from the beginning.

But depending upon when you got the FX7 and the 570 that came with it, and how much you've used them both, the 570 could be at the end of its expected life, normally about two or three years of heavy use. Only way to rule that out is to buy a brand new genuine Sony battery (sealed in its clamshell) from a Sony store or authorized reseller, charge it properly and try it out. Might be cheaper than sending the cam to Sony for evaluation. Has the 570 just begun doing this? How long has it been in service? Did you buy new direct from Sony, or used?
Adam