Which is a better camera Jvc gy hm 100 or the sony hvr a1?

How to shoot best high-definition video in various specific situations, regardless of camcorder model. Accessories: tripods, stabilizers, lights...
Nolivas

Which is a better camera Jvc gy hm 100 or the sony hvr a1?

Post by Nolivas »

Which is a better camera for shooting comedy skits and documentaries. I am planning on going abroad and would like to take some footage of the scenary, I also would like to make some comedy skits, and will need a camera can produce a film look for some of the skits.

Which do you reccommend for these projects JVC gy hm 100 or the sony hvr a1u?

Also can anybody reccomend a camera that might be good or relible for doing independent movie work? I do not plan on making any features films right but it would be nice where I should start looking for a camera that is capable of doing just that?

Also what kind of editing equipment do you reccomend to use for editing, PC or Mac? I haven't edit video since I was in highschool, so this my first time going to be full-time prosumer.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: Which is a better camera Jvc gy hm 100 or the sony hvr a

Post by acgold7 »

They are completely different types of cams. The JVC is a current model and the Sony is a very old model, long since supplanted by newer technology. The Sony is single chip while the JVC is three chip. The Sony shoots to tape while the JVC shoots to card. The Sony is HDV while the JVC is AVCHD. Really different animals. If you are going to spend that kind of money I would seriously suggest you look at the Sony FX1000 if you want to shoot tape or the AX2000 if you want to shoot to card. I think both are more capable and are better bargains.

At the moment PCs are more capable and are better values for video editing than Macs and are more customizable. If you are going to shoot AVCHD you should avoid Macs, as they do not handle this format well.
Adam