When will Handycam Sony FDR-AX100 go out?

News from NAB, CES, IBC... Announcements from manufacturers for new products to come.
FoxAdriano

When will Handycam Sony FDR-AX100 go out?

Post by FoxAdriano »

Hello, do you know when will Handycam Sony FDR-AX100 go out? It is a 4K. When will it posible to get it?
Thanks
Doughie
Global Moderator

Re: When will Handycam Sony FDR-AX100 go out?

Post by Doughie »

Well according to amazon's site, it will be shipped March 21st, just 4days from now.

If you buy it I hope you are ready for gargantuan file-sizes and a very powerful PC to edit footage. Twice the linear resolution of standard high-def. (small point of semantics : it does irritate me mildly when some sites (like B&H) say that this camera is "four times the resolution of HD". It's not, it has four times the pixel count, but only double the resolution. Resolution is measured is one axis, it is not the same as pixel-count.

Am sure it'll produce stunning imagery.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

Doughie, thanks for pointing out the correct math. This drives me crazy too. 1080 to 2160 is 2x. 4k refers to px wide, which is pretty sleazy in my mind because it implies lines.
Adam
Videvo

Post by Videvo »

Agree with Acgold about the lines, pretty bad.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

But even with that, the early reviews on the AX100 say the footage is simply stunning, even when downconverted to HD.
Adam