Help with HVR-A1U XLR

HDR-HC9 (2008). HDR-HC5, HDR-HC7 (2007). HDR-HC3 (2006). HDR-HC1 / HVR-A1 (2005).
Shoulder-mount HVR-HD1000.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: Help with HVR-A1U XLR

Post by acgold7 »

If the low light thing isn't a big issue, I think you will be delighted with the V1. Really a stunning little cam, even better than your A1, I think.
Adam
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

I agree with Adam - I think that the V1 is a fine machine, very versatile. It has a quite different sensor to the A1, same sized sensor at 1/3" CMOS, but a different arrangement of the photosites. Sony had also worked on their image-processing algorithms and really the images produced by the V1 and FX7 were excellent, and stand up well even today. Certainly when light levels fall, the V1 and Fx7 hang on better than the A1 does.

Let us know how things go with your V1 dlowery.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

[Mod note] I moved this thread to the Sony HDV single-sensor camcorders forum, since it's more about the HVR-A1 than the general audio practice.

PS: the V1 is 3 * 1/4''. And about low-light, knowing the FX7 myself, it's alright but it won't really cut it in cozy settings, it needs reasonably bright light to avoid grain. This depends on what you call "low-light", it seemed quite a subjective reference in all past discussions.
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

Stephan wrote:[Mod note]PS: the V1 is 3 * 1/4''
Ah you're right Stephan. More coffee needed next time before i post...
dlowery

Post by dlowery »

That's okay Doughie, Eariler I said the A1U recorded to .Mov :o)
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

dlowery wrote:That's okay Doughie, Eariler I said the A1U recorded to .Mov :o)
thats ok! I had a feeling when you mentioned .MOV files i thought "Aha, bet he's a Mac user..".
We appreciate your introduction post to - that was a nice touch and makes it personable. I think you're really going to like the V1. Terrific machine and also although it's larger than the A1, it's a nice compromise in size and weight between the much smaller HC1/A1 and the larger cams from Sony like the FX1/Z1 and their successors FX1000/Z5. Perhaps as you're going to be trying to post more on Vimeo/Youtube then you can share some of your work here with us by posting links to your vids.

Anyway, welcome onboard. Enjoy!
dlowery

Post by dlowery »

Okay I uploaded the test footage to Vimeo but see it's NOT HD because I didn't export it as HD. I will have to re do it.

The video is in HD on YouTube because i exported directly to Youtube in HD.
I think it came out okay but it looks better on my HD TV at home. I have a lot to learn about internet settings to get good video quality for streaming.

This is the test footage I did with the HVR-A1U before boxing it up for sending back. It was when I was shooting this footage that I discovered the XLR was bad.
No I can't wait to get my new V1U!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo_R2uZ88Mc

Remember to change the setting to 720p on Youtube.
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

Hi Don

quite nice. I think this video though demonstrates the difficulties of filming white-water! Heavily-compressed codecs struggle a lot with content like this - tumbling water. It's due partly to the very random nature of water movement and also because HDV is a CBR codec (Constant Bit Rate) and with content like this, a VBR codec (Variable Bitrate) would be better. If you take a look at, say, lower-left corner of the video at around 50-55seconds you should see what i mean. Also artefacting is quirte evident in the scene from 1:40 to 1:55seconds.
It's probably actually because you rendered the file as a too small file and it's got macro-blocking and artefacting when rendered. Just to see the difference, try rendering it again at a much higher bitrate / quality (i am not familiar with recent iMovie's rendering settings, but there should be a kbps or Mbps bitrate to choose in there somewhere) and some of the artefacting/pixelisation in the water should be reduced. It will create a bigger file, yes, but you should see the difference in the 'realness' of the tumbling water. I would think it's probably not artefacted that badly in the original HDV recording though. iMovie does i believe create an intermediate codec for all HDv footage (Applie Intermediate Codec) and that also may have contributed to the artefacting in the water.
dlowery

Post by dlowery »

Okay, sorry took so long, I have been quite busy the las few days.

I did some messing around with settings for exporting, and I actually got some good results.
The "New" video is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaxUZr6zeUU

I deleted the old one and think I am pretty happy with this video.

Let me know what you think.

Don