Help with HVR-A1U XLR

HDR-HC9 (2008). HDR-HC5, HDR-HC7 (2007). HDR-HC3 (2006). HDR-HC1 / HVR-A1 (2005).
Shoulder-mount HVR-HD1000.
dlowery

Help with HVR-A1U XLR

Post by dlowery »

Hi everyone,

I just purchased the Sony HVR-A1U as a compliment to my HVR HD1000U which I already own. I had a hard time deciding what to buy in order to be able to mix and match video but ended up going with the HVR-A1U because of the reviews and mainly to get the XLR input.

I just got it in yesterday and charged it up, installed the lens hood and the XLR adapter. Problem is I get no audio input from the XLR. When I disconnect the XLR I get good audio input from the built in microphone, but as soon as I connect the XLR I get nothing.
I have looked in the manual, and set all settings to the proper locations. Is there something I am missing?
I have even tried to connect one of my other XLR microphones to see if maybe the one that came with the camera was defective, but no luck.

It's Saturday and naturally there are no Support Techs anyplace. I really wanted to do some shooting this weekend. Very disappointed....

Thanks,
Donald
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: Help with HVR-A1U XLR

Post by Stephan »

Hello Donald, welcome!

Have you checked your microphones manuals & specifications, whether they require phantom power (or alternatively might be damaged by phantom power)? Did you set the +48V switch accordingly? Input level set to MIC, not MIC ATT nor LINE?
dlowery

Post by dlowery »

Hi Stephan,

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply.
I started out using the micraphone that came with the camera (short shotgun). Mounted as stated in the manual and then plugged into the adapter on top of the camera. Connected to input 1 XLR and set input 1 to Mic (not ATT or LINE) Also tried Low Cut (on the back of the adapter) to both on and off. Tried the +48v in both positions.

I got nothing from that application so I tried an external XLR Mic I have (NADY SP-9) and again no success.
Thanks,
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Mmm... no clue. Maybe somebody can help, but it seems like a call to support / service may be required indeed.
dlowery

Post by dlowery »

I just came back from shooting some footage and this camera is awesome. There are a couple of drawbacks such as bottom loading tape which means taking it off the tripod and taking the tripod mount off to change tape.
The quality of the video is so good that I am willing to forgive this downfall if I can only get the XLR to work. I did after all pick this camera up to compliment my HVR HD1000U and I should have no problem mixing and matching footage with the two Sony cameras.

Thanks for the input, I am sure I will get it figured out with Tech Support on Monday. I will share some footage in another thread when the editing is done.

Regards,
Donald
halfpipe

Post by halfpipe »

It still blows me away to see for myself and also hear how good this camera is 6 years after its introduction.
Yes the bottom mounted tape access is cumbersome to be sure (I have a pair of HC1s which are the consumer version without xlr)
Beware of little gadgets that go between the camera and the tripod which supposedly allow you to remove the tape without removing the camera from the tripod/video head/fastening plate. What you won't know until you try one is that they make the camera a bit tipsy and unstable on its mount
dlowery

Post by dlowery »

Hello Halfpipe,

I have heard of those kind of things and I am not interested in any of those things, as you suggest, they take away from the original mount and would not make for a stable mount on the tripod.

I will be calling B&H today (which is where I purchased the camera as well as most of my photo and video equipment). I have thought about maybe exchanging for the FX7, but after the reviews, I just don't think I will do that. Besides, XLR is important to me at this stage in the game which is why I went with the HVR-A1U. Also I need to get something that I can mix and match video with my HVR HD1000U. I I am editing with Final Cut on a Mac and the fact that the A1U shoots to .Mov format is also very nice.
It could be that the external XLR adapter is bad, but then again it could also be the camera input. Like I said I love the picture quality of this little camera. I am starting to wonder IF I have to send it back for replacement, I may upgrade. I am kind of lost here because I really like this little camera and the XLR is what is really important to me.

The next camera B&H has for about a Grand more is the HVR-V1U, but looking at CNet reviews, I see mixed reviews. I kind of need to stay with the Sony line because of mixing and matching with my existing camera. I am only thinking of this IF I end up having to send the A1U back. The V1U has the XLR inputs without the adapter.

Can anyone give me some feedback on he HVR V1U?

Thanks,
"D"
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

dlowery

It could be a bad XLR module. I would try a different mic and see what happens. The mic that came with the A1 is not regarded as being superlative. It is just 'ok'. Rode NTG1 is a far better mic. BUT.. clearly the supplied mic should work! So i would try connecting a known good condenser mic. If the mic has a minijack output, then you can easily buy or borrow a minijack-to-XLR converter.

You will need the 48V set to ON for the supplied mic as it needs 48volt phantom-power. Some other condenser mics have on-board power (like Rode Videomic) so for mics like that set the 48v switch to off. Rode NTG2 is dual-power having both on-board power and it can take 48v phantom-power.
Level should be "mic" yes.

I would go through the manual and check to see if there's a menu item that relates to the audio module. It's possible that there's a parameter that you have to set to "XLR" or "external mic" or something.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

I could be wrong about this, but I don't think the A1 shoots to .mov at all. It's HDV, which is always m2t. FCP will have to transcode this footage to work with it, just as with any other Sony HDV cam. In any event there is no mention of the .mov format anywhere in the A1's manual. I don't think there's any HDV tape cam that shoots to .mov, but again I could be mistaken. I'd be eager to see what material you have that suggests the A1u does this.

The V1 is the same cam as the FX7, so if you weren't impressed by the latter's reviews you won't like the V1 either. But either one will match with your HD1000 just fine. Both are outstanding cams and incredible values at this point. Neither does well in low light, but then again the A1 isn't great in this regard either. Given a choice between an A1 at $2149 or an FX7 at $1999 (and they have refurbs at the Sony Online Outlet right now for $1799), there's no question I'd go for the FX7, not the least of which for the better optics, longer zoom range and three chips. XLR is a non-issue, with so many really fine adapter boxes and/or the Rode VideoMic available. As it happens the onboard mic on the FX7 is astonishingly good for what it is.

With regard to your audio problem, you're sure you've made all the connections and set the switches exactly as specified on pages 19-20, and adjusted the XLR SET menu items as shown on page 59? The cord from the XLR to the AIS shoe is inserted securely, and the cord from the mic to the XLR box is equally secure, phantom power (+48V) is on both channels, input switches are set to MIC, etc.? MIC LEVEL and XLR SET are both on AUTO for testing purposes? While it's possible you have have a bad XLR box, it's extremely unlikely.
Adam
dlowery

Post by dlowery »

Again, thanks for all the input. I did some looking at some videos on Youtube and Vimeo as far as the V1U and I was pretty impressed with what I saw. I also spoke with Tech Support at B&H and after some consideration, I have decided to take the jump. I will be returning the A1U and getting the V1U to replace it. I am not too concerned with the lighting part as most of what I will shoot will be in pretty good light, and I do have light kits if need be. As far as shooting to .Mov that was bad on my part, you are correct, I will be working with .Mov files not shooting to .Mov.

Over all I think I made a good decision to switch cameras and I feel pretty comfortable about it. As far as the reviews go CNet has some good reviews and for the most part none of the cameras in this class are junk (my opinion). Some of the reviews I saw on the HVR 1000U were pretty harsh, but I have been very happy with it. I just finished editing some of the test footage I shot with the A1U and will share after it uploads to Vimeo.

Regards,