HDR-HC1: can camera settings be changed from the computer?

HDR-HC9 (2008). HDR-HC5, HDR-HC7 (2007). HDR-HC3 (2006). HDR-HC1 / HVR-A1 (2005).
Shoulder-mount HVR-HD1000.
t_yurek

HDR-HC1: can camera settings be changed from the computer?

Post by t_yurek »

The LCD monitor of my HDR-HC1 failed completely. It started out as the infamous flexible ribbon cable problem (no picture unless completely folded back). Rather than paying $400 to have it fixed, I purchased the part for $5 and downloaded the service manual and gave a DIY fix a shot. It didn't work :-) Now the LCD does not work even when completely folded back. Hence, there is no more any user interface to change the camera settings. Does anyone know if it's possible to change the settings via a computer using a firewire/usb connection? The video capture apps only allow basic tape operations. I want to be able to change the audio mic levels to manual since I recently bought an external mic and a low-noise preamp to go with it. The user manual says the audio levels setting returns back to "auto" after the camera's turned off for 24 hours, so even if it were possible, it may not be practical. I should probably think of upgrading (the NEX7 sounds like a nice upgrade right now...)

Thanks.
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: HDR-HC1: can camera settings be changed from the compute

Post by Stephan »

Hi, I don't think that's possible. Sometimes, it looks like these things are designed to wear down after a few years, and anyway consumer cams have made enormous progress since the HDR-HC1 was released, so maybe time to upgrade indeed!
Doughie
Global Moderator

Re: HDR-HC1: can camera settings be changed from the compute

Post by Doughie »

I had the HC1000 which was effectively the Standard-Definition version of the HC1 (around 2005-vintage) and the LCD screen on that too failed after a few years use. Didnt work at all. Tape drive failed too, eventually. These things happen, usually its not economical to repair it, better to accept it and upgrade to a new machine etc.