HVR-A1J help capturing

HDR-HC9 (2008). HDR-HC5, HDR-HC7 (2007). HDR-HC3 (2006). HDR-HC1 / HVR-A1 (2005).
Shoulder-mount HVR-HD1000.
JBlock

HVR-A1J help capturing

Post by JBlock »

Okay, I used to own a computer with windows XP, in which I had to install a firewire port on it just to be able to capture. Never did I have a problem. I didnt use the camera for 2 years, and I now own a computer with windows 7, laptop with only USB ports, not even a slot for the chip. Anyways, i cannot capture. I bought a harddrive with a firewire port which doesnt recognize the camera, i bought a cheap usb to firewire conversion cable off ebay for like 3 dollars which also has failed. Im using Vegas pro10..

Im kind of lost.
I do own a desktop with windows 7, and Im sure i can easily install the firewire port on it, but that is besides the point because i like to do my work while not at home, there HAS to be another way. Can anyone help me please.

thank you- Jared
Last edited by Stephan on 08 Dec 2010 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed title from HVRA1J to the correct HVR-A1J (to facilitate search in the forum)
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: HVRA1J help capturing

Post by acgold7 »

HDV is captured via Firewire. There is no other practical reliable way, at least not from the A1.

It is what it is. If you buy a car that runs on Gasoline, you can't complain if you move to an island where they sell only diesel.

There are plenty of laptops that have FW ports or an ExpressCard slot where you can add one. You should have gotten one of those.

For now, just capture the video onto the desktop machine and then transfer the files to the laptop.
Adam
JBlock

Re: HVR-A1J help capturing

Post by JBlock »

Yeah, thats what I was figuring. I just didnt know if there was a way, welp looks like imma be using my desktop lol. thanks man