Optimal setting of Sony HVR-A1E

HDR-HC9 (2008). HDR-HC5, HDR-HC7 (2007). HDR-HC3 (2006). HDR-HC1 / HVR-A1 (2005).
Shoulder-mount HVR-HD1000.
Mr Sam

Optimal setting of Sony HVR-A1E

Post by Mr Sam »

Hey

I´m totally amateur user of HVR-A1E.
I wanna the best setting of camera to the "top" setting, so I will not be so worried about quality of the pictures.

I have already used it, but I have sometimes problems of brightness and the automatic focus. And when I´m capture the pictures I will not lose the quality. I have Macbook Pro and Final cut Pro X.

How can I do the best?

Sorry my english.
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: Optimal setting of Sony HVR-A1E

Post by Stephan »

Hello, welcome!

If you don't know where to start, then the safest decision is to use all automatic settings. You should only choose other particular settings (= non-automatic) if you have a very clear reason to do that, otherwise you could take too much risk ruining your video.

That being said, some examples of choices that I make:
- When shooting outdoors: use OUTDOOR color balance, it gives you best colors.
- When shooting in dark light: use manual focus (not automatic).

There are so many various situations, it's impossible to give you all best settings in all situations, that would take a lifetime to discuss and it would be too theoretical. If there are some specific situations where you have particular issues, you need to describe in more detail what are those specific situations (what are "problems of brightness and automatic focus"?) and then we can help maybe with practical advice.

Can't help you with Final Cut Pro X. Actually I intended to purchase it very soon, but unfortunately I only got a Macbook Air and it probably isn't worth buying FCP X for this.
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

Just to add to Stephan's good advice, really the most important thing is to make sure you are recording in format "1080i". I think, by memory, the A1E can record in normal Standard-Def DV mode as well as HDV. Make sure you are in HDV "1080i" mode.

A1E shoots great images, especially in strong light.

When it gets dark, the quality will suffer a little bit. It wasn't perhaps at its best in low-light. Consider experimenting a little if you are confident with the settings to try 1/25th sec on the shutter speed when its REALLY dim lighting. This will reduce the gain by 6dB and will keep image noise down. But it will change the look a little of the video too, so maybe leave this for another day when you are more used to the A1E etc.
Mr Sam

Post by Mr Sam »

Thanks both. You´r right both. Will try.

Mr. Sam
Aasiaat, Greenland