HELP! SONY HDR-HC5 LCD touchscreen malfunction

HDR-HC9 (2008). HDR-HC5, HDR-HC7 (2007). HDR-HC3 (2006). HDR-HC1 / HVR-A1 (2005).
Shoulder-mount HVR-HD1000.
john reilly

HDR-HC1 Touch Screen Dead -- GOOD NEWS!

Post by john reilly »

Hi, Everyone:

I had recently suffered this same issue--screen on my HC-1 goes dark in "shoot" mode, but would remain fully lit when it was facing outward and folded against camera body.

I found that calling Sony, who responded with the information I am supplying below, was extremely efficient and helpful (thanks to all you posters who had similar problems and determined, in many cases, including mine, that the culprit was the flexible ribbon cable).

When you call the 800 #, you are calling the Phillipines, where polite, and good-english speaking personnel
will answer live, after minimal menu-selection on your part, and research your request, cite the part or part #, including cost and availability and take your credit card info, which then triggers shipments out of Laredo, TX, as happened with my confirmation, below.

I got the new, genuine Sony part, just as they said, with my "rush" shipment, which I ordered.

I then had a local technician remove the old cable, install the new one, and my cam works perfectly.
He charged me $140, including basic service, including cleaning of the spherical heads with a 48 hr weekday turn-around in the Eastern Los Angeles County area.

I hope this information is useful and competitive compared to some of the "Sony $500 Repair Specials"
which we have all been hearing about...

Best of Luck,
John Reilly

Sony Part Order Confirmation: July 7, 2010

Please do not reply to this email. Should you have a question regarding your order, contact us at http://www.sony.com/accessories. To ensure a timely response, it is important to include your Sony Parts & Accessories order number.

Dear Sony Customer,

Thank you for your purchase at Sony (DAPC) Direct Accessories & Parts Center.If you would like to check the status of your order, please contact us at (800)488-7669.

Sony Parts Order Number: S01FK871

Your order contains the following item(s):

Part Number: 186540611

Quantity: 1

DESCRIPTION: PWB, FP-259 FLE Flexible Ribbon Cable for (but not necessarily limited to) Sony HDR-HC1, resolving issue of LCD screen going semi-dark in deployed "shooting" position... (However, LCD screen, prior to repair, was still fully lit, when folded open-face, back upon cam body).

Subtotal: 22.31

Tax: 2.17

Shipping Charges: 23 (overnite from Laredo, TX to Los Angeles)

Order Total: 47.48
Frank

Re: HELP! SONY HDR-HC5 LCD touchscreen malfunction

Post by Frank »

John, thanks so much for posting this. Very useful information - and much more cost effective than those Sony $500 Repair Specials!

Regards,

Frank, Independent Consultant, Somewhere in the State of New York
Read Frank's thoughts on HDV
[ also covers AVCHD (including AVCCAM & NXCAM) and XDCAM EX ].
john reilly

Good News--Sony Repair / Parts Info

Post by john reilly »

Frank,

Glad I could be of service.....(Or is that one of the utility companies??)

I'm a rookie poster, compared to how much guys like you have posted to help us all out...
But I finally had an "experience" which I hope helps a lot of others, as well.

I'm wondering if any of the Big Brothers...i.e., "3-Chippers" FX-1, FX7, Z1U, Z5, etc... will
eventually suffer this "flex ribbon cable" fate?

If so, at least we have a better angle on things, now, hopefully!

John Reilly

P.S. Sony told me they would be happy to ship me one of the repair manuals for, what, $35.00??
(I'm pretty certain you already knew that.....funny!)
Frank

Re: Good News--Sony Repair / Parts Info

Post by Frank »

john reilly wrote:I'm wondering if any of the Big Brothers...i.e., "3-Chippers" FX-1, FX7, Z1U, Z5, etc... will eventually suffer this "flex ribbon cable" fate?
Yes, I believe that any product that employs a flexible ribbon cable (that gets flexed a lot, that is) is a potential failure at some point in its lifetime. It's the nature of the beast.

The cable that you needed, part number 1-865-406-11, is a fairly common replacement item and can be found online for $26.95 at PartStore.com.

http://www.partstore.com/Part/Sony/Sony ... 1/New.aspx
john reilly wrote:P.S. Sony told me they would be happy to ship me one of the repair manuals for, what, $35.00??
(I'm pretty certain you already knew that.....funny!)
Some of Sony's higher-end pro camcorders and VCRs have multi-volume service/maintenance manuals and each volume has a list price of over $200.00. Sometimes they can be found online from third party sources for a bit less than list, but not always.

The official Sony U.S. site for pro parts is as follows:

https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/s ... talog.aspx

Regards,

Frank, Independent Consultant, Somewhere in the State of New York
Read Frank's thoughts on HDV
[ also covers AVCHD (including AVCCAM & NXCAM) and XDCAM EX ].