Pinnacle 14 & file management

A relaxed, elegant area for all friendly discussions that would be off-topic elsewhere.
Janster

Pinnacle 14 & file management

Post by Janster »

Greetings & pardon for bothering you. I've tried to find my questions online but can't seem to narrow it down to what I'm looking for.

The scoop: I bought a Dazzle that came with Pinnacle 14. My sole purpose - to convert 20 year old Hi8 & VHS tapes to DVD's. The process is going smoothly and I couldn't be happier. Seeing some old wedding footage has been great and being able to save it for another 20 years...Priceless.

I've researched and found how to delete Aux files - all is good.

Eventually - I will have converted all our old family footage to DVD's and will no longer need the Dazzle/Pinnacle. And actually, will be shipping this to my father.

To keep the computer cleaned up..... I'm looking for information on how to delete ALL the files its creates while I've been working? Please pardon my ignorance.....but I'm a basic consumer who fired up this program for the first time a couple weeks ago. I've searched my hard drive for related files ...and to be completely honest? I see some of the files but there's a lot of 'extra' stuff that I'm afraid to delete.

My process has been... Capture video, create project / edit & save, Create DVD.

Am I true to assume ...there are capture files (avi)?? There are project files.... AND there are render files?
I'm also assuming that the AUX files (which I've been deleting) are the same thing as the Render files?

I may eventually UN-install Pinnacle, but this probably won't get rid of all the files it has created.

Thanks for the help ahead of time!!
Jandy
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: Pinnacle 14 & file management

Post by Stephan »

Hi,

Yes, probably some capture files (usually AVI for standard definition video), some project files, and render files. What these AUX files are... no idea, never used that software, so won't be able to help.

Make sure you output your DVD as image files (.iso, .img) that you will preserve in multiple copies on multiple hard disks. Those are the files which are priceless, because with them you will be able to burn new copies of your DVDs (*) using standard burning software like Nero or Imgburn. I started doing some video editing 10 years ago... Software come and go, and after a while I found it was no use keeping those project files and capture files, because after a few years I'm never going to reinstall an old version of some software that would be able to re-open the project files. All that stays for posterity are the DVD image files. Everything else goes into trash or oblivion sooner or later.

(*) Self-burnt DVDs do decay over time. Make sure you can burn them again any time.
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

Good advice there from Stephan on keeping the ISO image files.
Yes obviously they are by their nature quite big files, but theyre very useful for burning new DVDs especially older DVDs. Older DVDs can deteriorate or get small scratches on them very easily. Keep the ISO image files on like two different hard drives and you should be good.

I use ImageBurn as well, its quick and fast and free.
Janster

Post by Janster »

Thanks Gang!!

Aside from the Aux files (you delete them thru the setup preferences). You can also delete project files thru the project tab. I had to go back in and delete some of the avi (capture) files also. My hard drive space was dwindling and dwindling fast. I've got family members requesting me to do VHS tapes for them also. The capture files are .avi files and each capture has 5 different avi files. Luckily, they were all numbered so I could delete with confidence. LOL

So anyway...I have no idea what file formats it uses when putting it onto DVD. When looking at the file structure - there are AUDIO_TS folder and inside are .VOB, .IFO, and .BUP files.???

I'm not worried about saving any files for the long term. I'm just glad I've got these onto DVD's to save for another 20 years.. LOL In another 20 years from now, the technology will all be different by then and God only knows whether I'll be able to convert them again or not. Or whether I'll have the energy/time/care to do so. Just something that will sit in a closet drawer collecting dust until the next time I get adventurous and do a major spring cleaning and notice...HEY?? What are these? Throw 'em in the computer and play again for old time sake. (that is....is technology would allow it).

Thanks again!
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Keep the precious VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders, they *are* the DVD. iso or img image files are just wrappers that include VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS in a more convenient form for burning a DVD.

Here's a tutorial for instance: How to burn DVD folders with ImgBurn.
Janster

Post by Janster »

Stephan wrote:Keep the precious VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders, they *are* the DVD. iso or img image files are just wrappers that include VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS in a more convenient form for burning a DVD.

Here's a tutorial for instance: How to burn DVD folders with ImgBurn.
Thanks!

Is that ImgBurn a program to create DVD's / burn DVD's?
The Pinnacle Studio software I've been using has been creating DVD's for me after capturing from a tape/VHS.
I think I've created about 20 DVD's in the last couple weeks. My relatives keep bringing me more tapes!!

That part hasn't been a problem. I've been trying to learn how the Pinnacle sorts its files. I think I've found how to delete them - or should I say - I've deleted enough to free up some disc space.

It
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Well, I'm not sure if that's what you mean, but 'create' and 'burn' are 2 different things. For the sake of clarity, the typical editing/authoring workflow is this:
1. Collect raw video files (e.g. from tapes).
2. Edit the video files (even if that's basic edits) to produce a finished movie.
3. Create a DVD (that would ordinarily have a menu with chapters and a button to launch the movie). The output is a ISO or IMG file, or the VIDEO_TS / AUDIO_TS folders.
4. Burn the DVD on physical media (disc).

Imgburn only addresses step 4: it can only burn DVDs (not create them), but it's very lean and effective in doing that. If you check the tutorial I pointed you to in my previous post, with the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders you should be able to re-burn your DVDs with Imgburn if necessary. Other files are just to be discarded I would think.