Why only 10 optical zoom

A relaxed, elegant area for all friendly discussions that would be off-topic elsewhere.
newfielander

Why only 10 optical zoom

Post by newfielander »

Hi, wasnt sure where to put this message,i hope its ok here and i hope someone can help.
I'm a hunting guide and I do quite a bit of filming,(wildlife) but haven't really come across the camcorder, with all the spec's that a hunting guide needs,(in my opinion).I've been using the Canon GL2 for some time now, love the video qualiy,but just wish it was smaller, as a hunting guide, you need a camcorder that's not big and heavy to carry around, i've been carrying the GL2 around my neck,so its quick to get to,and when the weather is bad or the temp get cold, I simply put it inside my coat. So along with my binoculars,around my neck as well, its a burden, So I am thinking surely theres a camera out there that must be able to take its place, so heres what i'm looking for, 20X Optical zoom or more,or close, OIS, to cover my nerves when getting to close to big moose! Good low Light camera, (as ya all know alot of animals move just before dark or in the early morning,) not big and bulky, and reasonable light.
I have seen some nice HD SD or Hard drive cameras, like the Panasonic HDC-TM 900, or the Panasonic HDC-TM700, and a plus with these is you can take some real nice stills with it as well so thats 2 cameras in one.I've never used them, so I'm not sure how good they are. But also now I've noticed the new Sony camcorders,Canons,but only a 10 optical zoom, but theres mention of 14 extra zoom? So is this 14 plus 10? I know theres big pro cams out there with great zooms but when your been guide and cameraman, you need to pack light and also get great footage, i really appricate anyones impute.Thanks
Newfielander
newfielander

Re: New Sony HDR-CX700V / HDR-CX560V / HDR-CX360V camcorders

Post by newfielander »

Hi, just need to ask for a little advice here,what is this extended 14X zoom all about, on the New Sony HDR-CX700V ,is it as good a the panasoinic TM 700 Intelligent 18x zoom,I have been using a Canon GL2 for a long time now wants to step up a little but needs to step down in the size of the camera,I would love a 20 optical zoom or something similar,I really love the XA10 but again it only as a 10 optical zoom,now I hope that seeing this is quite the jump from the GL2, hows the zoom gonna be compared to the GL2.I film wildlife so zoom is very important to me but I need a small camera but also i want to be able to take pictures as well as I'm filming,something that the Panasonic can't do.
Thnaks for your help
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: Why only 10 optical zoom

Post by Stephan »

Hello, welcome! I merged your posts into one single topic (there's no need to post duplicates). Quick note, long day... (sorry, we also have day jobs ;-)

The Sony HDR-CX700V, Canon HF G10, Canon HF S30 are all 10x optical. The Panasonic HDC-TM900 is 12x optical.

Interesting... I never realized they basically share the same zoom specifications. I don't know what's the driving reason for that. Probably some design decision (read: cost trade-off) between lens size, aperture... The longer your zoom is, the less light comes in -- so you need a larger and/or more expensive lens design to let the light in, which is an increased issue if you also need to shoot at dusk. And I guess a longer zoom makes it more difficult (read: more expensive) to have a good wide angle at the same time, which is what most consumers ask for more than anything else.

When extra zooms are mentioned, they are digital, not optical. I never use digital zoom, it's already hard enough to get sharp High Definition, especially when there's motion or when focus is a challenge. So I wouldn't risk ruining my HD by magnifying those pixels.

Regarding what you're looking for, the HDR-FX7 has a 20x optical zoom, but it's large and bulky, and outdated technology now.

I think what you say about packing light is absolutely key, I couldn't agree more. But do you hike with a tripod too? Because, if you go all the way to 20x zoom, it's shaky-cam time! Very hard to stabilize hand-held, unless you also carry a tripod - which kind of defeats the whole purpose I'd say. What I mean is, I'm not sure how you would be using 20x zoom with a small hand-held camcorder.
newfielander

Post by newfielander »

Hi thanks so much for the reply,I agree about the wide angle,which is great as well, but according to the reports i read other places the (Intelligent 18x zoom) on the Panasonic TM models suppose to be alot better than digital zoom, so i was wondering was the zoom mentioned on the Sonys the same kinda setup.
Regard to what i use to stabilize my cam at 20? I don't pack a tripod, I use a rock,stump,or tree.Maybe I don't use it as much i think I do,but I just know of times that if I had that extra zoom,you can get some awesome footage.
Thanks again
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

newfielander wrote:according to the reports i read other places the (Intelligent 18x zoom) on the Panasonic TM models suppose to be alot better than digital zoom, so i was wondering was the zoom mentioned on the Sonys the same kinda setup.
I just checked the HDC-TM900 specs, it says:
- Optical Zoom 12x
- Digital Zoom 30x / 700x. Footnote: as digital magnification increases, resolution significantly decreases.

But going from 12x to 20x on digital zoom shouldn't be so much of an issue, I guess, if that's all you need to capture those special moments.
newfielander

Post by newfielander »

Hi thanks again , but according to this page that I have provided there's a 14x Extended Zoom to get even closer to the action Extended Zoom works in conjunction with 10x optical zoom to get even closer to the action while maintaining HD image quality.
Here's the link,
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 1666294237, its on the far right of the page, down 3 paragraphs,under the features tab.
Just wondering if this is similar to the Panasonic TM's 18x Intelligent Zoom.
Thanks
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

I think they're the same, and basically marketing stuff. They must have figured that you can use digital zoom to go from 10x to 14x (Sony) or from 12x to 18x (Panasonic) without you noticing any visible impact on picture quality.

I seem to recall with an older cam that, when I enabled digital zoom, there were several "notches" in the viewfinder display slider. First notch was the limit of optical zoom, second notch was intermediate limit of digital zoom with minimal PQ impact, 3rd and last notch was the ultimate limit of digital zoom with severe PQ impact.

They probably just gave a name to that 2nd notch - either Extended Zoom or Intelligent Zoom, same thing.

(I guess)