US Broadcast TV.

A relaxed, elegant area for all friendly discussions that would be off-topic elsewhere.
steve

US Broadcast TV.

Post by steve »

Just finishing a 9 day break in NYC. Having been used to broadcast digital TV in the UK for a few years now, where many at home complain about the lack of choice, they should come here and see what off air (i.e. not cable or satellite) offers. About four HD channels of mixed TV at HD, with their SD copies, say, another 6 SD digital channels of various programme types, with some of them NTSC simulcast, (I thought that the US mandated the removal of all analogue a few years ago). The rest is shopping channel junk etc., (including one in HD - how bizarre).
Generally, apaprt from the main networks, the technical quality is pretty poor, surprisingly on the SD ATSC channels as I thought that was one of the reasons for moving over to digital as NTSC was so grim.
So when I get home, I can be grateful that the UK has a better deal for viewers.
I've heard US visitors to the UK say that UK TV is better than theirs, (and the programmes there are targetted to their taste), now I can see what they mean.

Steve
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: US Broadcast TV.

Post by Stephan »

steve wrote:I thought that the US mandated the removal of all analogue a few years ago
I found this article in Wikipedia - Digital television transition in the United States. Apparently there are some "low-power television stations" (especially in NYC) that are going to continue analog broadcasts for some more years.