New Canon HF G10 and XA10 camcorders

AVCHD Flash Memory models - HF G30, HF G20, XA20, XA25 (2013). HF G10, XA10, HF S30 (2011). HF M32, HF M31, HF M30, HF M300, HF S20, HF S21, HF S200 (2010). HF20, HF21, HF200, HF S10, HF S11, HF S100 (2009). HF10, HF100, HF11 (2008).
AVCHD Hard Disk models - HG20, HG21 (2008). HG10 (2007).
HDV models - HV20, HV30, HV40, XH A1.
Jhinuk

Re: New Canon HF G10 and XA10 camcorders

Post by Jhinuk »

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I really appreciate the help you have provided. I am learning a lot and finding new things to google with your help.

So I guess upgrading Premiere Pro and PC would be ok but better if I can also go for the Cineform plugin.

You have a very friendly and helpful forum going here. Thanks for the help once again.

Regards.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

If you upgrade your PC and Premiere, Cineform is completely unnecessary, in terms of performance enhancement. It will actually slow Premiere down. It does provide some nice color-grading tools (FirstLight) if you buy the more-expensive packages, not NeoScene.

Before you upgrade to CS5.5, read the recommended specs carefully and take them seriously. Pay particular attention to their supported video cards. We'll be glad to answer any questions you may have on our editing forums here, and so will Adobe over on their sales chat lines. With the proper PC, CS5.5 just flies with anything you throw at it.

Let's talk more in the editing forums.
Adam
Jhinuk

Post by Jhinuk »

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the advice. I will surely do that. Good to know I don't need the NeoScene too. Great to know there is someone I can turn to if I get stuck somewhere down the line.

Thanks and regards.
jasperedwards81

Post by jasperedwards81 »

I am a newbie not only to this forum to to HD camcorders as I am looking to make my first purchase of an HD model. I have been using an SD JVC MG730 for the last 3 years and am finally now able to move to an HD model. I have been principally considering the Canon G10 and the Panasonic TM900 and have also seriously looked at the Canon S30. My goals are to get the highest possible video and audio quality available for vacations and family outings purposes short of going pro for two principal uses: 1) to be able enjoy at home on a Panasonic HD plasma TV and 2) to post on YouTube. I keep hearing that the G10 offers better audio than the TM900 if they are considered as is without an optional add on microphone. However, I also hear the TM900 may offer better video performance except in low light, and that it is easier to operate, so I have had the thought maybe the TM900 with an add on microphone would be the best option for me. However, that thought conflicts with the fact that it is widely reported that the superior video performance of the TM900 is only achievable if one records in the 60p recording format which is not AVCHD which means virtually no editing programs will deal with it, which I further interpret to mean there is no way I could post that superior quality to YouTube. I have burned through almost a complete set of ink cartridges on my printer printing reviews of these 3 models and still have not figured it out. If anyone out there has any thoughts or experience about this, I would very much welcome your input.