New APS-C Canon 60D with articulating LCD

Canon T3i / 600D, 60D, T2i / 550D, 1D Mark IV, 7D, 5D Mark II.
Panasonic DMC-GH2.
Nikon D7000, D5100, D5000, D90.
Doughie
Global Moderator

New APS-C Canon 60D with articulating LCD

Post by Doughie »

As people nmay already know, a new model announced yesterday by Canon and that is the 60D :

http://www.canon-europe.com/About_Us/Pr ... lease.aspx

It shoots 24fps, 25fps, 30fps, 50fps, 60fps all at 1080 res (except in 50fps and 60fps mode), and has standard APS-C sensor (same size as the T2i/550D and 7D, and similar to the Nikon D90, D300s).
Big thing with this cam is the movable LCD screen. This is clearly the first cam i think that where the design has been 'skewed' towards video use. Given the huge boom in big-sensor video use of previous cams, Canon has pushed this forward. I would expect to see more movable LCD D-SLRs going forward.

Canon marketing video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eUedGP4vrE

Also there will probably be a Nikon D90 successor next month, which may or may not be called the D95. I would expect that to be a bit of a Nikon 'statement of intent' with where they are heading as far as how seriously they are taking video functionality in their D-SLRs. I would think 1080p at various frame-rates and perhaps during-recording autofocus (they all lack that for now, except i think the new D3100).

Interesting times.

Pic of new D60 below:
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: New APS-C Canon 60D with articulating LCD

Post by Stephan »

It's really nice that Canon provide all major framerates upfront (1920 x 1080 @ 29.97, 25, 23.976 fps). Let people choose whichever framerate fits their purpose - that's a mature product marketing choice.

As per the lower-res faster framerates (1280 x 720 @ 59.94, 50 fps) I'm not sure how we're going to use those, but that's a first step anyway.

I hope they were able to improve downscaling. Replacing rudimentary line-skipping by proper downscaling algorithms is just a matter of time, stuffing the required CPU power in a (relatively) small body. Let's wait for the first hands-on feedbacks for this one.
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

Stephan wrote:As per the lower-res faster framerates (1280 x 720 @ 59.94, 50 fps) I'm not sure how we're going to use those, but that's a first step anyway.
That frame-rate / res is the same as the one currently in use in the 550D/T2i and the 7D. I don't think these cams can shoot 1080p/60fps due to heat issues on the sensor. The 7D does occasionally overheat and this is the reason that neither the 550d/7d shoot 1080/60p and the 5DMKii doesnt shoot 60fps in any mode. (full frame sensor, more heat needing to be dissipated. 720/60p i think is very useful for creating some nice slo-motion.
Stephan wrote:I hope they were able to improve downscaling. Replacing rudimentary line-skipping by proper downscaling algorithms is just a matter of time, stuffing the required CPU power in a (relatively) small body. Let's wait for the first hands-on feedbacks for this one.
Yes i agree. But preliminary looks at this cam i think show line-skipping is still the order of the day. I think once they (IF they) introduce proper downscaling then that is highly likely to be in the top-of-the-line machine first, i would guess 5DMKIII or something.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Videomaker posted a test video on YouTube: Canon 60D Test in Yellowstone. Nice colors, good dynamic range.

I like the shots of running water (streams). There's so much dynamic range in running water (dark stones, very bright light reflections) that ordinarily, when shooting running water, I want to underexpose (to protect the highlights) and do all sorts of gamma curve correction in post to redistribute contrast into the mid-tones without sacrificing the highlights. Here, compared to ordinary camcorders, the high latitude comes out of the box.

Or maybe the most remarkable point is that they were able to get one of those elusive moose ;-)
chrishull3

Post by chrishull3 »

Have i bought my 550D 5 weeks too soon,having said that i think the only real gain is the better articulating LCD .
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

Yes I would tend to agree Chris that, functionally, the 60D and 550D are relatively similar. I don't think there's anything, in video terms, the 60D can do that the 550D doesn't already do. The main operational difference is the articulating LCD. That's quite nice for awkward angles, or low shots etc where it would be hard to see the LCD screen on the back of a regular D-SLR.
chrishull3

Post by chrishull3 »

The manual audio control is a huge benefit as well Dougie, not having an audio level metre showing audio being recorded is another big loss for me as well, a couple of times i forgot to turn the external on and on another the mic jack was not fully home and no audio recorded eek only lost a few minutes.
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

True -an audio meter is nice. I too have had instances of lost audio for various reasons. (condenser mic not switched on or plug not fully home or something like that). - just goes to show we should really always monitor sound live via headphones as much as possible.
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

Nice detailed hands-on comparison video of the 60D vs 7D D-SLRs, with specific attention to video mode, and including test footage from both cameras :

http://vimeo.com/15230434