D-SLRs vs 35mm film

Canon T3i / 600D, 60D, T2i / 550D, 1D Mark IV, 7D, 5D Mark II.
Panasonic DMC-GH2.
Nikon D7000, D5100, D5000, D90.
Doughie
Global Moderator

Re: D-SLRs vs 35mm film

Post by Doughie »

noa wrote:For the wideangle lens from canon I can use the autofocus by pressing the photobutton slightly until the white square in the viewfinder turns green meaning you have correct focus on that spot, it works very good in getting accurate focus quickly. It's also the only lens I have that can be used handheld but only when the lens is at it's widest. (11mm is already very wide, even with the 1.6 cropfactor, much wider then my xh-a1)

For the nikon lenzes which I use with an adapter it's all manual, there i always use the magnifying button which zooms in considerably making focusing a breeze, without that I'm not able to nail it exactly. The dof is so narrow, especially on the 50mm at f1.4, that even when you think you got it and when you magnify the image, you often see your slightly off.
You might consider buying one of these (Zacuto Z-Finder) to help with focussing. Essentially it turns your LCD screen into a viewfinder. Supposed to make it MUCH easier to achieve critical focus.
noa

Post by noa »

Forgot to tell but I have one of those (a cheaper version), think it's called hoodman or something like that. But even with that I find it difficult getting focus exactly right, with the magnifying button on the other hand it's no problem.
chrishull3

Post by chrishull3 »

Its always a tripod if possible with my 550,i dont hand hold with any cam but even with a mono my 550 footage looks far better on the tripods.Regading WB personaly i find daylight setting as good as any outdoors .
chrishull3

Post by chrishull3 »

http://vimeo.com/15498607
some footage i did in dorset,only a 720P render, i still struggle a bit using the lcd as i have not found a decent loupe yet with magnetic fixing.
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

Nice stuff Chris.
What lens did you have on the 550D for that stuff? I can't imagine those deer would be too happy if you got too close, so i reckon you must have a bit of a strong tele lens on a decent tripod.
chrishull3

Post by chrishull3 »

Doughie wrote:Nice stuff Chris.
What lens did you have on the 550D for that stuff? I can't imagine those deer would be too happy if you got too close, so i reckon you must have a bit of a strong tele lens on a decent tripod.

Thanks doughie i had my Tamron 28-300mm on,i use it for most of my outdoor filming,the only other lens i have is the stock 18-55mm lens, for nature work a canon not sure if its 300 to 800mm would be great but i doubt i will ever lay out that much though, also a tamron 10-22mm which is a resonable price.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Indeed, I like the deer shots - esp. the one when they're in the tree shade with the blurred foreground.
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

one other comment, on the edit : maybe crossfades rather than straight-cuts would have suited the tranquil content of the video? just a thought.
chrishull3

Post by chrishull3 »

Doughie wrote:one other comment, on the edit : maybe crossfades rather than straight-cuts would have suited the tranquil content of the video? just a thought.
yes there are a few dissolves but i only realy downloaded this to show some 550 footage.
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

chrishull3 wrote:
Doughie wrote:one other comment, on the edit : maybe crossfades rather than straight-cuts would have suited the tranquil content of the video? just a thought.
yes there are a few dissolves but i only realy downloaded this to show some 550 footage.
totally appreciate it Chris. Any color grading on the edit? Some shots look like they'd been graded. just wondering on that.