Panasonic GH2: Best Video DSLR For The Price?

Canon T3i / 600D, 60D, T2i / 550D, 1D Mark IV, 7D, 5D Mark II.
Panasonic DMC-GH2.
Nikon D7000, D5100, D5000, D90.
drv

Panasonic GH2: Best Video DSLR For The Price?

Post by drv »

I'm new to DSLRs. I shot 35mm film years ago with a Yashica fully manual cam. I've had a number of digital point and shoots over the years. For video, I have an old Panasonic DV953 SD cam. I want to do HD video but feel like a good DSLR with video capabilities might let me serve two functions with one cam.

I've been looking at various DSLRs and the Panasonic Lumix GH2 appears to be the best at video at the $1000 price point at least according to the reviews I've read. I know there are some Nikons and Canons DSLRs that do better at video but at a much higher price. Higher than I want to go right now.

So, I'm looking for opinions on the GH2 and suggestions for a better DSLR for video at the $1000 price if there are any.

Thanks.
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: Panasonic GH2: Best Video DSLR For The Price?

Post by Stephan »

Hi Dennis, welcome!

Seen your other post... Chris (who has a GH2) has been away for a few days as it seems, so hopefully he'll be able to answer your request for GH2 opinion shortly.

There's this video from Africa (link), the colors are so amazing that this just looks like the expendable camera you want to get no matter what, even for a one-off trip or gig... until you think about lenses. Do you have lenses already that you would want to reuse, how to do that (adapter ring), any limitations (stabilization? autofocus?) So it's not just the body, and hopefully Chris can discuss that.
drv

Post by drv »

Stephan,

Thanks for the reply.

As far as lenses, I do have a few left over from my old 35 mm film days. All purely manual. I'm not quite sure how old glass can be adapted to these new cams. I know I'll have to do everything manually, which won't bother me as that's what I used to do back then. I'll have to be satisfied with the stock lens on the GH2 for the start until I figure out if or how my old lenses can be used.

I haven't really thought about stabilization but I do have a good tripod and monopod that I'm sure will work. Is that what you meant?

I don't know what you mean by autofocus limitations. Perhaps Chris can fill me in on that and other topics I failed to bring up or need to know about.

Dennis
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

I meant that sometimes, the lenses for video DSLRs have built-in optical stabilization. And when you reuse old lenses (with adapter ring), you may lose both that optical stabilization and autofocus. But then, if there's little chance that you need to reuse old glass, then this doesn't apply to you.
drv

Post by drv »

OK, got it. If I can reuse the old lenses, I'll put up with manual everything. That's what I did back in the 35mm film days. I never really got used to the fully auto cams/lenses so that shouldn't be an issue *if* I can find the adapters I need.

Thanks for info.

Dennis
chrishull3

Post by chrishull3 »

drv wrote:I'm new to DSLRs. I shot 35mm film years ago with a Yashica fully manual cam. I've had a number of digital point and shoots over the years. For video, I have an old Panasonic DV953 SD cam. I want to do HD video but feel like a good DSLR with video capabilities might let me serve two functions with one cam.

I've been looking at various DSLRs and the Panasonic Lumix GH2 appears to be the best at video at the $1000 price point at least according to the reviews I've read. I know there are some Nikons and Canons DSLRs that do better at video but at a much higher price. Higher than I want to go right now.

So, I'm looking for opinions on the GH2 and suggestions for a better DSLR for video at the $1000 price if there are any.

Thanks.
Hope you got sorted sorry i have been off site a fair while,AF on the GH2 is not bad but not as good as modern camcorders,for me everything else is top notch.
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

Almost everything i have ever read about the GH2 is universally good. Its a very impressive machine and the autofocus on the lenses seems to work well.

See here some really good skateboarding stuff, almost entirely filmed with GH2 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELDwedLW4gQ

and BTS :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIL-EK0Dtto