HVR-MRC1 Recording During Tape Change

HDR-FX1000 / HVR-Z5 (2008). HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (2007). HDR-FX7 / HVR-V1 (2006). HDR-FX1 / HVR-Z1 (2004).
bhoy022673

HVR-MRC1 Recording During Tape Change

Post by bhoy022673 »

Just a question on recording to the memory unit as I change tapes...

I have an HVR-Z5U and a HVR-MRC1. I'd like to record simulataneously to tape and to memory. Is there a setting that will continue recording to memory as I change the tape?

I think I've read about settings that kick in once the tape has stopped, or near the end, but I'd like to continuously record to both media. I know in synchro mode, both the tape and the memory will stop recording once I hit stop. I'd like to keep memory going.

Anyone have an ideas as to what the settings are? Can it be done?

Bill
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: HVR-MRC1 Recording During Tape Change

Post by acgold7 »

There are three ways to do this:

1. Let the tape run out, eject, replace, hit REC.
2. Hit CamLink on the MRC to disengage the REC signals from cam to MRC, hit stop, eject tape, replace tape, hit REC, turn on CAMLINK.
3. Turn off EXT REC CTRL completely and operate tape and MRC independently, using separate REC controls on each (somewhat defeating the purpose of all this nice seamless integration with your Z5).

But note if you change tapes while the MRC is running, even if the MRC runs completely uninterrupted, there will be a file break when the new tape cues up that cannot be joined with the Sony ru-util utility. It will always start a completely new file because of the audio interruption at the beginning of the new tape. So there will be a 1-frame file break.
Adam