fx7 PP cinema

HDR-FX1000 / HVR-Z5 (2008). HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (2007). HDR-FX7 / HVR-V1 (2006). HDR-FX1 / HVR-Z1 (2004).
halfpipe

fx7 PP cinema

Post by halfpipe »

Hi
When selecting Picture Profile - cinema are there changes made which could increase aliasing?
I selected that PP for an outdoor football game on a gloriously sunny fall day because the colours seemed 'nicer' but upon review, the horizontal lines of the fencing and bleachers in the background are really shimmering (to distraction)
Doughie
Global Moderator

Re: fx7 PP cinema

Post by Doughie »

aha.

coukld this be the infamous "marching ants" of which there was a huge amount of discussion (on another forum) on this artefact when the FX7 and V1U went on sale. I would think Adam would be the best person to comment on this as he has great experience with the Fx7 model.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: fx7PP cinema

Post by acgold7 »

I've never experienced that issue so I must be doing something wrong. But it's possible the PP in question could be adjusting sharpness up to an undesirable level, which I suppose could account for this. Should be a simple matter to look at where the cam has Sharpness set both with this PP and without.

Stephan, have you noticed this with your FX7?
Adam
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: fx7 PP cinema

Post by Stephan »

I've never used the 'Cinema' picture profile, or the 'Cinematone' setting (beyond a quick try). I prefer to shoot colors as faithfully as possible, and if I want to change colors or gamma/exposure I do it in post (essentially for matching shots).

Indeed, I'd check the Sharpness setting inside the Cinema PP and/or decrease sharpness a bit.