Bracket for attaching both external light and Mic.

HDR-FX1000 / HVR-Z5 (2008). HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (2007). HDR-FX7 / HVR-V1 (2006). HDR-FX1 / HVR-Z1 (2004).
lee

Bracket for attaching both external light and Mic.

Post by lee »

Hi
I hope someone here may be able to guide me to the right place.
Is there a simple bracket that allow me to attach both an external light and microphone to my FX7?
I did some search but unable to find anything for this. If I put HVL-20W2 (light) on then i can’t attach ECM CG1 (microphone) because they both use the same shoe.

Many thanks
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: Bracket for attaching both external light and Mic.

Post by acgold7 »

Adam
lee

Re: Bracket for attaching both external l, ight and Mic.

Post by lee »

Thank you Adam and sorry for late reply.
The bracket looks awfull, i'll find a way of mounting them neater without buying this funny shape bracket.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

There are also L shaped brackets which screw into the tripod mount rather than mount to the top of the cam. B&H has them all. Just do a search.
Adam
lee

Post by lee »

I did some more search after I got the link from you but I think a lot of them are a little chunky.
I was a Tool Maker/Draughtsman for 13 years. I will replace the metal arm for External Mic.with one that has a U shape cut at each end so that I can mount both Light and Mic. and still using the only shoe on the camera, simple and light.

100mm long x 2mm thick with U shape cut at both end and a duplicate slot about 30mm from one end for holding bracket to the male part of shoe.

I hope you can understand what I’m trying to describe here.

Thank you
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

I have used a Bescor VB-50 bracket for years. US$13.50, widely available.

I also use a Sony bracket too that is a straight piece of metal as it allows a little more room for the LCD to be folded out. My latest cam has a bigger LCD screen so i needed a little more room to open the LCD door, and the VB-50 didnt quite give me the room for that.

2 cold-shoes on it, for mounting 2 items. It gets both a light and an external mic further away from the camera and that is a GOOD thing. Some mics (like Rode Videomic i use) can pick up tape-whine if you use a miniDV camcorder. Obviously mini-DV cams are in decline now, but still its a good idea to keep any sensitive condenser mic away from camera body to reduce handling-noise-on-soundtrack.
Equally, keeping a light as far away from lens axis as possible is a good thing for the image.