An used Sony EX1 or NX5U for me?

PMW-EX1R (2009). PMW-EX3, PMW-EX1 (2008).
FoxAdriano

An used Sony EX1 or NX5U for me?

Post by FoxAdriano »

Hi, my budget is around four thousand euros and I'm very undecided between an used Sony EX1 or NX5U. I'd like to buy a new camera for my documentaries around the world, in the remote areas.

Ex1: better image performance but heavier and with a poor wide angle
NX5U: lighter and better wide angle and zoom

Usually my shots are without tripod. In your opinion what is the best option for me?
Thanks
steve

Re: An used Sony EX1 or NX5U for me?

Post by steve »

I have used NX5 footage on timelines that also have FX1 & HC3 material. the quality has improved in terms of definition and the noise can be lower. It isn't a match for the EX1 in terms of MTF, where detail is maintained throughout the dynamic range.

Another issue is that the EX1 has both 50 and 60Hz derived field rates. If you are shooting around the world, there may be instances where you need to avoid flicker from local 50Hz lighting by changing the camera's localisation.

As far as storage is concerned, now there are quality SxS SD adaptors available, there's not much difference in cost when using SD on either camera. I have class 10 16GB transcend cards that cost under 16GBP.

Also, 35Mb/s MPEG2 is just as good as 24Mb/s AVCHD and a lot easier to edit.

steve
FoxAdriano

Post by FoxAdriano »

If you were me what would you buy for documentaries around the world? My ideas are more and more confused.
I think MPEG2 is a mature codec, too much mature and may be it will be replaced by AVCHD.
thanks
Last edited by Stephan on 09 Dec 2010 00:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed ill-formed link to xoomer.virgilio.it (the link didn't work)
Frank

Post by Frank »

You've probably made a purchasing decision by now, but I can tell you that if it were me, I would choose the PMW-EX1R, as it's a superior product to the HXR-NX5E (if you're in Italy, you would probably want the "E" model, by the way, and not the "U" model).

If it matters to you, the HXR-NX5-series camcorders are designed, manufactured, and marketed by Sony's consumer video products division while the PMW-EX1R is designed, manufactured, and marketed by Sony's professional video products division.

Another camcorder for you to consider, if you haven't decided yet, is the Canon XF300, which can be upgraded to support both 50 Hz and 59.94 Hz timebases. If any of your work is going to be televised, the 4:2:2 color space might be a nice feature to have.

Good luck!

Frank, Independent Consultant, New York, NY
Read Frank's thoughts on HDV
[ also covers AVCHD (including AVCCAM & NXCAM) and XDCAM EX ].