Sony PMW-EX1R and PMW-EX3 Rebates

PMW-EX1R (2009). PMW-EX3, PMW-EX1 (2008).
Frank

Sony PMW-EX1R and PMW-EX3 Rebates

Post by Frank »

Hello XDCAM EX fans:

For those who might wish to benefit from this, I thought that I'd mention that Sony in the U.S. is offering Mail-In Rebates (MIRs) of $300.00 on the PMW-EX1R and $500.00 on the PMW-EX3. The rebate applies to purchases made in the February 1, 2011 through March 31, 2011 time period, inclusive. Details can be found at the following URL.

https://www.rebate-zone.com/sonyb2b/dir ... id=100481A

Given that NAB runs from April 9 thru April 14, this rebate may (or may not) signal that replacements for these two camcorders will be announced at the show.

Regards,

Frank, Independent Consultant, New York, NY
Read Frank's thoughts on HDV
[ also covers AVCHD (including AVCCAM & NXCAM) and XDCAM EX ].
Doughie
Global Moderator

Re: Sony PMW-EX1R and PMW-EX3 Rebates

Post by Doughie »

Great stuff -- thanks for that info Frank.
NAB should be interesting indeed. I wonder what Sony will be with EX1R and EX3? (if anything). Generally Sony actively keeps their pro cameras for long product-life. So i would guess maybe another upgrade or something? just my speculation.

ps. I hope you are surviving all the snow and storms in NYC, and haven't yet sold your truck for a snowmobile.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Hi Doughie! I've no idea whether Sony is planning to announce replacements for these two products at NAB or not, but given the timing of the rebates, it sure wouldn't surprise me in the least if they announced replacements, possibly at more competitive price points, especially considering what the Canon XF300 and XF305 have to offer, not to mention that the BBC accepts footage originated on the XF300/XF305 for certain programme material, primarily due to the influence of Alan Roberts I believe.

BBC - Commissioning - Producing High-Definition TV
http://www.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/production/hd.shtml

As to the snow, I've been viewing it from a 25th floor window and haven't actually been out in it at all, but my understanding is that we have gotten significantly more snowfall this season than we usually experience. When I was a mere child, I always enjoyed going out and playing in the snow, as I imagine most kids do, but as an adult all that it ever meant to me was that I had to dig out the car and that driving might be more difficult than usual if the roads weren't fully cleared. I guess it could be said that I used to love the snow but now hate it, although it sure looks nice from a high vantage point. :)

Hope that all is going well for you.

Regards,

acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

It doesn't snow much here in Seattle, but I've always said I have no problem with the snow as long as it's outside and I'm inside.
Adam
Frank

Post by Frank »

acgold7 wrote:I have no problem with the snow as long as it's outside and I'm inside.
Adam, that happens to be precisely and exactly my philosophy!

Doughie, of course, at least in his present locale, is probably surrounded by people who have only ever seen snow on television. :)

Regards,

Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

Frank wrote: Doughie, of course, at least in his present locale, is probably surrounded by people who have only ever seen snow on television. :)
More or less true.

We do have ice here, quite a lot of it, but it's always inside a glass.

So ....as long as the ice stays inside the glass, and i stay outside the glass then i really quite enjoy it.
steve

Post by steve »

No snow here in London this week, hopefully we've seen the last of it for this winter.

Went to BVE today. There is a general feeling that Sony will have to do something about the EX's loss of market share owing to the XF300/5's general acceptance by the broadcasters. Nano Flashes and similar are all very well but do restrict the camera's portability a little. Interestingly, many of the Sony crew were suggesting that the soon to be released Atomos Ninja recorder is a good low cost solution to recording a 10 Bit 4:2:2 file on a 4:2:0 camera like the EX1R & EX3.
My original plans were to get an EX1R this week but with the buzz about an update or replacement for it, i held on to my money. Possible updates could include embodying the encoding circuitry of the PMW-500, or lowering its price point to undercut the Canons.
Sony have been offering a free copy of Vegas 10 Pro when certain cameras are registered with Sony Silver Service by End March 2011, but none of the dealers here seem to be pricing them down - yet.
Maybe NAB will bring some news.

Steve
Frank

Post by Frank »

Doughie wrote:We do have ice here, quite a lot of it, but it's always inside a glass.

So ....as long as the ice stays inside the glass, and i stay outside the glass then i really quite enjoy it.
LOL.

And can still hold the camcorder steady!

Frank

Post by Frank »

steve wrote:No snow here in London this week, hopefully we've seen the last of it for this winter.
Firstly, the weather report: I ventured out this afternoon. Had to run to the bank (three blocks away; six blocks round trip), and can report that except for some very small piles of the stuff around some of the curbs, there's no snow left on the ground here in Lower Manhattan. In fact, the weather, at least in terms of temperature, could almost have been described as "mild".
steve wrote:Nano Flashes and similar are all very well but do restrict the camera's portability a little.
Agreed, but the AJA Ki Pro Mini will be out very soon now, and it's quite small and light, although intended primarily for Mac users.
steve wrote:Interestingly, many of the Sony crew were suggesting that the soon to be released Atomos Ninja recorder is a good low cost solution to recording a 10 Bit 4:2:2 file on a 4:2:0 camera like the EX1R & EX3.
Sounds like Sony's answer to Panasonic's AVC-Intra 100 codec, which is 10-bit 4:2:2.
steve wrote:My original plans were to get an EX1R this week but with the buzz about an update or replacement for it, i held on to my money.
I can't say that I disagree with your decision to wait. I would have done the same.
steve wrote:Possible updates could include embodying the encoding circuitry of the PMW-500, or lowering its price point to undercut the Canons.
I've spoken to a number of people who really like the PMW-500, but always rent rather than buy due to what they feel is an over-priced product.
steve wrote:Sony have been offering a free copy of Vegas 10 Pro when certain cameras are registered with Sony Silver Service by End March 2011, but none of the dealers here seem to be pricing them down - yet.
They've offered free copies of Vegas from time to time here in the U.S. as well.
steve wrote:Maybe NAB will bring some news.
They've already announced two new production grade monitors - the BVM-E170 and the BVM-E250, 17-inch and 25-inch, respectively. Both are 10-bit OLED designs, and the usual claim is being made that they're true CRT replacements.

steve

Post by steve »

Frank wrote:
steve wrote:No snow here in London this week, hopefully we've seen the last of it for this winter.
Firstly, the weather report: I ventured out this afternoon. Had to run to the bank (three blocks away; six blocks round trip), and can report that except for some very small piles of the stuff around some of the curbs, there's no snow left on the ground here in Lower Manhattan. In fact, the weather, at least in terms of temperature, could almost have been described as "mild".
My wife was in NY state on business in late January. On the first day it was -25C and on the last day there was a serious (18") snow dump at JFK which threatened to delay her return. I suppose adequate local infrastructure is in place and people are willing to pay for it rather than suffer the consequences.

I suppose any real info about the EX1R's future must be kept pretty tight as they would want it to have a major hit on the market. So spoiler leaks won't help much here. I just want to move on from my FX1E which has been a trusty horse for the last 6 years. Its has been overtaken in performance by the latest HDV models, but I would like to make the workflow changes now. Vegas seems to handle anything I throw at it including 550D DSLR footage, so I can transition from tape to flash over a number of existing long-term projects.

Steve