Sony NXCAM 35mm - The real competitor for the AG-AF100

Sony NEX-VG20, NEX-FS100 NXCAM 35mm (2011). NEX-VG10 (2010).
Panasonic AG-AF100/101 (2010).
steve

Sony NXCAM 35mm - The real competitor for the AG-AF100

Post by steve »

Watch out Panasonic. Sony has opened up their shop:

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press ... index.html

Is this the beginning of the end of the 5D MkII heyday?

Steve
Last edited by Stephan on 18 Nov 2010 09:01, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: added Sony NXCAM 35mm to the topic title, to facilitate search in the forum
Doughie
Global Moderator

Re: The real competitor for the AG-AF100

Post by Doughie »

interesting.
I think making available all lens-mount adaptors so people can mount almost ANY 35mm-SLR lens to this cam (and others of course) is critical. SOny do tend to have a history of going the proprietary-accessroy route, and i'm sure they'd like eveyone to buy their lenses for this new cam, but i think ability ti attach almost any lens is critical for these new cams. sounds like Sony have rushed that news item out to try to steal a little thunder from Panasonic with their AF-100.
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: Sony NXCAM 35mm - The real competitor for the AG-AF100

Post by Stephan »

Thanks Steve for the info! I changed the topic title a bit, so that it's easier to search the forum.

A few words on the form factor for this new Sony NXCAM HD 35mm (based on the teaser video that's posted there)... No handle, no obvious placement for a viewfinder, so it seems designed to be mounted on a rig for digital filmmaking, kind-of exclusively. Maybe it's only a very preliminary CGI render... but they cared enough about details to show an 'L-Series' battery pack mounted on the backside.

And I wonder whether this means we're not going to see a pro version of the NEX-VG10, and this new NXCAM 35mm would be replacing it maybe... 6 months later than expected?

Philip Bloom actually met the Sony people about this cam (and the larger PMW-F3) - read Launch of Sony F3 and NXCAM in London - and says this new cam would be localized (24/60 vs. 25/50)... again. It's time Sony realizes nobody wants localized cams anymore, this is so 'last century'. He also has a couple of pictures of this new cam's prototype, so it's not just a prelim CGI render - the prototype really looks like a big square body! And it's the same sensor as the PMW-F3, so an altogether different class from the NEX-VG10.
steve

Post by steve »

Stephan,

I've heard elswhere that it will come with bolt-on handles, grips etc. allowing it to be configured for a particular role. This of course will put the price up, but its that sensor that will sell it to those who couldn't even consider the F3.

Steve
DouglasAraujo

Post by DouglasAraujo »

steve wrote: Is this the beginning of the end of the 5D MkII heyday?

Steve
Maybe yes, maybe no... But is a good thing to think. I saw some rumors that this camera will cost arround U$7k, 5DM2 U$ 2500,00(body). Canon working in a new version of 5D, the mark III.

I hope we can shoot in RAW soon. Yeah, I hope.
Chevypower

Post by Chevypower »

Raw???? on a DSLR??? You have got to be kidding! With a 4GB recording limit (FAT32), you will get 40 seconds of video in RAW (1080x1920 @ 24fps)! Wow, that would be so useful
http://web.forret.com/tools/video_fps.asp
steve

Post by steve »

DouglasAraujo wrote:
steve wrote: Is this the beginning of the end of the 5D MkII heyday?

Steve
Maybe yes, maybe no... But is a good thing to think. I saw some rumors that this camera will cost arround U$7k, 5DM2 U$ 2500,00(body). Canon working in a new version of 5D, the mark III.
Unless Canon and the other DSLR manufacturers incorporate proper downscaling hardware rather than the tatty line and cell skipping chips into their cameras, they will remian outside the real video market. The video functions are great for playing with the shallow DOF effects, but as the real video experts are demonstrating, the AF100/1 and F3 type of kit is needed to do the job properly.
I doubt that Canon can achieve that in the MKIII anytime soon as they can't even get the existing chips to work for more than a few minutes without overheating. Great stills cameras with a novelty feature of video.

Steve
steve

Post by steve »

Well, today is the day when Sony says the media can release details of the NXCAM. Let's hope:

1) it lives up to its early promises including price, flexibility and most important of all, performance.
2) when properly tested, doesn't, like the AF100/101, become the subject of heated arguments between brand detractors and fanboys that have caused at least two online forums to panic.*

Sony would do well to be open about the camera's details such as sensor de-bayering and other processing, (subject to issues of commercial sensitivities) to prevent these uninformed debates taking hold. Once they pass into urban mythhood, the product is doomed. Panasonic seem to have had their eyes closed on this one.

Steve

*Gratefully, there seems to be no sniping around here.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Rumors time is over, the new NEX-FS100 is now official and out!

So I initiated another thread for this new product: New Sony NEX-FS100 35mm NXCAM camcorder (and closing this one).