Wedding video

Want to share a great video? Your own work of art or someone else's? This is the place. Get ready for constructive feedback (mostly ;-) or maybe tar & feathers!
dlowery

Wedding video

Post by dlowery »

Okay all,
I did a wedding trailer and uploaded it to my web site. This video was shot with both the Sony HVR-HD1000U and Sony HVR-V1U cameras. I had the groom fitted with the Sony UWPV1 lav mic and used it for all of the audio during the wedding (you will not hear much in the trailer but a couple parts), and on board mic for the reception.
The HVR-HD1000U footage has some "White Balance" issues, but the video turned out OK. The DVD really looks good on my Samsung 63" and seems as the wedding party are more than happy with the full DVD. Keep in mind neither of the cameras used are great in low light and the only light was what was inside the church. During the signing of the certificate, there was almost NO light at all. There were some lights in the back of the room and what was on the dance floor, but for the most part it was pretty dark. All of the reception was shot with the HVR-HD1000U.

http://sierravistaphoto.biz/video/?p=17

Let me know what you think.

"D"
Last edited by Stephan on 27 Oct 2010 07:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed thread title from 'Videos' to 'Wedding video' to reflect actual topic content
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: Videos

Post by Stephan »

The colors are nice, I think, except the blue/purple cast on the little girl at 00:34 (outdoor light with wrong WB? That's fixable in post)

At 02:45 in the ballroom, there's some smooth camera movement after they move in. Nice! Did you use a stabilizer of some sort?

Now some suggestions...

I'd add some cut-aways, just any cut-aways (like relatives or friends having fun, mother shedding a teardrop) to add more dynamics and transitions.

There may be something wrong in the deinterlacing, the way you uploaded the video. There's interlace lines everytime the camera moves.

The camera shaking when groom kisses bride... I guess something happened to you at that time, like people coming in the way? But it's the absolute wrong moment to move the cam.

When they leave in the car, it's too shaky. When you zoom in, you need to realize when you've zoomed too far and won't be able to have a steady shot. Better zoom out and be steady, rather than a close-up where it's too shaky to see anything clear.

I'd also avoid the fast zoom-in/out, or edit it out.

"Hope this helps"
dlowery

Post by dlowery »

Stephan wrote:The colors are nice, I think, except the blue/purple cast on the little girl at 00:34 (outdoor light with wrong WB? That's fixable in post)

At 02:45 in the ballroom, there's some smooth camera movement after they move in. Nice! Did you use a stabilizer of some sort?
Actually I had the camera mounted on tripod which was also mounted on a "Dolly"
Stephan wrote:Now some suggestions...

I'd add some cut-aways, just any cut-aways (like relatives or friends having fun, mother shedding a teardrop) to add more dynamics and transitions.
I actually had those in the original but then the file becomes to big to upload, even with only seconds. I had a hard enough time uploading this to the web because of file size.
Stephan wrote:There may be something wrong in the deinterlacing, the way you uploaded the video. There's interlace lines everytime the camera moves.
It's in the upload conversion. Those lines are NOT on the DVD. Most video hosting services convert videos when they upload, those are the white balance lines I spoke about.
Stephan wrote:The camera shaking when groom kisses bride... I guess something happened to you at that time, like people coming in the way? But it's the absolute wrong moment to move the cam.
I actually got bumped by someone standing up. It's a good thing I had another camera angle that I used in the full video on DVD.
Stephan wrote:When they leave in the car, it's too shaky. When you zoom in, you need to realize when you've zoomed too far and won't be able to have a steady shot. Better zoom out and be steady, rather than a close-up where it's too shaky to see anything clear.
Yup, this was my first shoot with the new HVR-V1U. Because it's not a shoulder mount like the HVR-HD1000U I have a lot to learn with shooting and keeping this smaller camera steady
Stephan wrote:I'd also avoid the fast zoom-in/out, or edit it out.
Again, the zoom control on the handle (like the HVR-HD1000U) only has one zoom speed. Lots to learn about this cool little cam.
Stephan wrote:"Hope this helps"
You bet, that's why I posted the link, I need all the feedback I can get. This is a great forum and I respect the opinions I get here.

Thanks,
"D"
Guy Bruner

Post by Guy Bruner »

You can use the free VirtualDub with the Deshaker plugin to stabilize that video. Also, there is a Deshaker script for Sony Vegas 9 and below. The new Sony Vegas 10 has a deshaker FX built in.
steve

Post by steve »

diowery,

I like the pace of the video but what seems to be the problem with the camera moves is that pans start and finish with a jerk. Its as if the tripod didn't have a fluid head, and the abrupt start was caused by the stiction of a plain undamped bearing. Is this the case?

Steve
dlowery

Post by dlowery »

I did use a fluid head tripod, again this is also a new tripod. lots of new equipment so what is cool is that you all will be able to watch me progress with all my new stuff.
dlowery

Post by dlowery »

Guy Bruner wrote:You can use the free VirtualDub with the Deshaker plugin to stabilize that video. Also, there is a Deshaker script for Sony Vegas 9 and below. The new Sony Vegas 10 has a deshaker FX built in.
hi guy,
problem is I am using Mac, I movie and final cut.
Guy Bruner

Post by Guy Bruner »

Well, that's too bad, then. I don't know if there are any inexpensive software solutions for you.
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

Guy Bruner wrote:Well, that's too bad, then. I don't know if there are any inexpensive software solutions for you.
I believe there are. In Final Cut 6 there is a function called "SmoothCam".
That will do a similar job to DeShaker, and of course it's a plug-in for FCP, so if dlowery has FCP 6.0 then he can use that product.

Info here and even youtube videos :
http://www.geniusdv.com/weblog/archives ... pro_60.php

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-use-s ... -6-270294/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL5LDD3wBrc
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

dlowery wrote:
Stephan wrote: I'd add some cut-aways, just any cut-aways (like relatives or friends having fun, mother shedding a teardrop) to add more dynamics and transitions.
I actually had those in the original but then the file becomes to big to upload, even with only seconds. I had a hard enough time uploading this to the web because of file size.
Cutaways are to cover bad cuts or add variety to a boring static shot, not to lengthen your video. And if it's the same length then it won't be any bigger after encoding. If you have file size issues then pick another codec -- there are many to choose from which will enable good web quality and manageable file sizes.
dlowery wrote:
Stephan wrote:There may be something wrong in the deinterlacing, the way you uploaded the video. There's interlace lines everytime the camera moves.
It's in the upload conversion. Those lines are NOT on the DVD. Most video hosting services convert videos when they upload, those are the white balance lines I spoke about.
Interlace lines have nothing to do with WB. If you have interlacing issues on the web but not DVD, it's likely because your DVD Player or HDTV (if that's how you are viewing) has a built-in hardware deinterlacer. For the web you must deinterlace yourself while encoding. No excuse for interlace lines in web video and again, unrelated to White Balance. The Vimeo HD and YouTube HD presets in Premiere CS5, for example, make perfectly deinterlaced files for uploading and look perfect, even after they get done messing around with them.
dlowery wrote:
Stephan wrote:The camera shaking when groom kisses bride... I guess something happened to you at that time, like people coming in the way? But it's the absolute wrong moment to move the cam.
I actually got bumped by someone standing up. It's a good thing I had another camera angle that I used in the full video on DVD.
Then you should have used this shot in the trailer as well. Everyone gets bumped -- it's a hazard of the trade. But you must always cut this stuff out unless you absolutely have no choice, because it makes you look unprofessional if you leave it in. But kudos for having a backup.
dlowery wrote:
Stephan wrote:When they leave in the car, it's too shaky. When you zoom in, you need to realize when you've zoomed too far and won't be able to have a steady shot. Better zoom out and be steady, rather than a close-up where it's too shaky to see anything clear.
Yup, this was my first shoot with the new HVR-V1U. Because it's not a shoulder mount like the HVR-HD1000U I have a lot to learn with shooting and keeping this smaller camera steady
One of things I've learned is that a small cam like the V1 should never be handheld. Ever.
dlowery wrote:
Stephan wrote:I'd also avoid the fast zoom-in/out, or edit it out.
Again, the zoom control on the handle (like the HVR-HD1000U) only has one zoom speed. Lots to learn about this cool little cam.
Well, yes, but it is adjustable in the menus. Better to use the handgrip rocker, which is variable depending upon how much pressure you place on it. With a little practice, you can smoothly zoom at the appropriate speed. Better yet, get a good LANC controller for your tripod handle with a variable zoom rocker.
dlowery wrote:
Stephan wrote:"Hope this helps"
You bet, that's why I posted the link, I need all the feedback I can get. This is a great forum and I respect the opinions I get here.

Thanks,
"D"
Kudos for posting your video here and asking for comments. You need a pretty thick skin and it takes a lot of courage. Keep shooting, and please keep posting.
Adam