Coral Reef video... slow-shutter opening sequence??

Want to share a great video? Your own work of art or someone else's? This is the place. Get ready for constructive feedback (mostly ;-) or maybe tar & feathers!
Doughie
Global Moderator

Coral Reef video... slow-shutter opening sequence??

Post by Doughie »

OK here's another one by the same guy, shot offshore in North West Oz.

Take a look at first 37secs of this video.

Am just trying to figure out what he did to get that effect....

To me shutter looks to be *around* 1/10th sec. (judging by the movement blur of the people standing near the bow of the boat). Perhaps slower than that even. Now the slowest fps rate for the 5D is 24fps, so if he was using a shutter of around 1/10th sec, by definition he cannot shoot at a frame-rate faster than 10fps. I have no idea what 5D does when you try to shoot at a slow-shutter speed so that it cannot "fit" 24frames into a second of recording.

so.... thinking about it, i dont think this is video, it's recorded as stills. 5D MkII can only shoot 4fps in stills mode, and so what i think he did was he shot stills, with drive-mode set on 'continuous', at 4fps, with shutter at probably 1/8th second. In that v strong light, with a shutter-speed that slow, he must have had a crazy small aperture and a really strong ND filter on the 5D to avoid overexposing the shot :

http://www.vimeo.com/15915992

Anyway it's a nice effect, anyone got any input / opinion on this?
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: Coral Reef video... slow-shutter opening sequence??

Post by Stephan »

Considering the streams behind the smaller boats, I'd say it moves slower than actual speed - so maybe it's video that's been slowed in post? Hence the blurring and the ghosting (interpolated frames)...
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

Stephan wrote:Considering the streams behind the smaller boats, I'd say it moves slower than actual speed - so maybe it's video that's been slowed in post? Hence the blurring and the ghosting (interpolated frames)...
I dont think it's as simple as it just being slowed down. The movement and appearance of the people on the bow in my view indicates otherwise.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

I'm guessing it's a combination of a slow shutter speed, slowing it down in post and applying some effects there as well for a sort of frame blending effect.
Adam