First Video Canon T2i

Want to share a great video? Your own work of art or someone else's? This is the place. Get ready for constructive feedback (mostly ;-) or maybe tar & feathers!
DouglasAraujo

First Video Canon T2i

Post by DouglasAraujo »

Hello!

This is my first video made with a Canon T2i + Lens kit + 50mm 1.8 + 75-300mm 4.5/5.6.
Please, show your opinion about this video.

http://vimeo.com/17670981

Thanks!
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: First Video Canon T2i

Post by Stephan »

[ Mod note: I moved your request to the "Video showcase" forum, which is specifically there for this purpose ]

Very nice video, I think!

I like the effort that you took in framing the shots harmoniously (1/3 - 2/3 rule), and the smooth sliding pans. I like the dynamic range (latitude) which gives a much better look to people faces (softer shadows instead of ugly 'video look'). I also like the titles: nice font, clean and sophisticated. Also, it's a bit funny to see the titles shaking with the camera! Did you do some matchmove (motion tracking) with After Effects, or what?

The title that moves in the doorway ("para quem nem sempre pode ver") is very cleverly done. With the child against the light, this is a fantastic shot which integrates the idea into the visuals very effectively (01:13 to 01:18). In the other shots though, matchmoving the titles looks a bit strange.

What I like less perhaps is the color correction. It looks a bit "canned" (out of the box). I understand that the yellow / reddish cast gives a warmer look (which I understand considering the purpose of this clip), and the vignetting is supposed to give a sense of proximity. But it's a bit cliché. And overall, I'd prefer the images with a little more contrast, especially the interviews.

But colors deal with creative choices, so this is all subject to individual preferences. Here is for example the kind of colors that I love myself, check the interviews in this video: http://vimeo.com/11306252 (thanks to Doughie for sharing that one earlier on).

P.S: the shot at 01:24 has the wrong focus, but I guess you figured that yourself already ;-)
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

Stephan wrote:P.S: the shot at 01:24 has the wrong focus, but I guess you figured that yourself already ;-)
Well..i looked at that shot and my view is that the focus-point was actually as the film-maker Douglas intended : on the horse's face, rather than the people tending the horse. I agree immediately your eye is drawn to the people working on the horse, but if you look at the horses eye, it's in sharp focus and i think this is what the camera-op intended for that shot.

Yes i'd like to know about the titles too. My guess is, After Effects too, or maybe one of the apps in the FCS suite?
chrishull3

Post by chrishull3 »

All the good points have been said but the colour look is not to my taste,i prefer the save the kimberly colour look.
DouglasAraujo

Post by DouglasAraujo »

Hello friends!

Thanks for the reply and tips! Any comment is very welcome.
Stephan wrote:P.S: the shot at 01:24 has the wrong focus, but I guess you figured that yourself already ;-)
Yeah, i think you´re right.
Doughie wrote:Yes i'd like to know about the titles too. My guess is, After Effects too, or maybe one of the apps in the FCS suite?
Titles made in After Effects and imported in the FCP as a .TIFF sequence.
Stephan wrote:I like the effort that you took in framing the shots harmoniously (1/3 - 2/3 rule)
How this rule works?
chrishull3 wrote:,i prefer the save the kimberly colour look.
What is this kimberly colour look?

Sorry for the several questions and the english too.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Welcome back, nice to have you here!
DouglasAraujo wrote:
Stephan wrote:I like the effort that you took in framing the shots harmoniously (1/3 - 2/3 rule)
How this rule works?
Just like you did: avoiding to shoot the subjects in the center of the picture frame, and instead position them 1/3 from the left or 1/3 from the right, 1/3 from the top or 1/3 from the bottom. It usually looks better this way, and that's also why on camcorders there is sometimes a guideframe in the viewfinder that splits the picture frame in 3 parts both horizontally and vertically.
DouglasAraujo wrote:What is this kimberly colour look?
Watch the "Save The Kimberley" video, it's that one.
DouglasAraujo wrote:Sorry for the several questions and the english too.
Don't worry about your English, no problem. And the forum is here for questions and discussions, otherwise there would be no forum!
DouglasAraujo

Post by DouglasAraujo »

DouglasAraujo wrote:What is this kimberly colour look?
Watch the "Save The Kimberley" video, it's that one.

Hmmm interesting. Can you send more examples?
Thank you for the reply.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Well, I don't have any in my sleeves myself at the moment, so you will need to check the "Video Showcase" forum when somebody has more videos to share.
chrishull3

Post by chrishull3 »

DouglasAraujo wrote:Hello friends!

Thanks for the reply and tips! Any comment is very welcome.
Yeah, i think you´re right.
Doughie wrote:Yes i'd like to know about the titles too. My guess is, After Effects too, or maybe one of the apps in the FCS suite?
Titles made in After Effects and imported in the FCP as a .TIFF sequence.
How this rule works?
chrishull3 wrote:,i prefer the save the kimberly colour look.
What is this kimberly colour look?

Sorry for the several questions and the english too.
Just a little more colour vibrancy is what i like,i know this is my personal taste, i also have a HV30 Canon as well as the 550D,Warmeys HV films are are some of my favourite HV films.http://vimeo.com/18018034
dont get me wrong your footage is vg.
DouglasAraujo

Post by DouglasAraujo »

chrishull3 wrote:Just a little more colour vibrancy is what i like,i know this is my personal taste, i also have a HV30 Canon as well as the 550D,Warmeys HV films are are some of my favourite HV films.http://vimeo.com/18018034
dont get me wrong your footage is vg.
Talking about colour vibrancy, I found this:

http://vimeo.com/12358381

http://vimeo.com/17472046