Out and about in January with my GH2

Want to share a great video? Your own work of art or someone else's? This is the place. Get ready for constructive feedback (mostly ;-) or maybe tar & feathers!
chrishull3

Out and about in January with my GH2

Post by chrishull3 »

http://vimeo.com/19291613
It was good to be able to get out and about filming in january after the december freeze.
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: Out and about in January with my GH2

Post by Stephan »

Nice colors, nice exposure!

Compared to your former Canon, it seems to me this Panasonic GH2 is much more tolerant to movement, easier to handle. The slow horizontal pans look much better, whereas with the Canon it seemed that the slightest movement would wreck the image (as far as I remember).
chrishull3

Post by chrishull3 »

Yes that pretty well sums it up, its easy to control exposure in P mode and it does allow pans easier, although moire/ailaising may be less its still aparent but watching HD TV it even shows at times on programns.
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

i thought those shots were impressively sharp and good punch. Quite nice indeed.

So Chris, i know you now have 550D and the GH2. Can you summarise the key differences to you between the two of them? (or has your 550D died? I know you had some probs with it).
chrishull3

Post by chrishull3 »

Doughie the 550D went is because i have had two and the second one was having some incompatability with certain mics, i dont think it was faulty but amazon said they were refunding without the option of a replacement,i could have got another but went for the GH2,which has easier use in as much as there is good AF, Panning is much smoother and there is an onboard stereo mic /histogramn /adjustable sound although stupidly this does not work wth external mics,E-T-C is great it gives you 2.6x extra zoom and 3.6x in 720P mode, this not digital as as far as i know in video anyway its lossless,of course the swiveling lcd and adjustable viewfinder are also not on the 550D.
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

thanks Chris. Tell me, what lenses are you using on the GH2 please? Are you using Canon lenses with an adaptor? I am considering either a 60D or a GH2 and am trying to figure out the lens situation. I appreciate your input.

ps. any idea why the panning is better?
chrishull3

Post by chrishull3 »

Doughie wrote:thanks Chris. Tell me, what lenses are you using on the GH2 please? Are you using Canon lenses with an adaptor? I am considering either a 60D or a GH2 and am trying to figure out the lens situation. I appreciate your input.

ps. any idea why the panning is better?
Doughie i only have the 14mm-140mm kit lens but this works out to 14-364mm with E-T-C or 28-728mm in 35mm terms in 1920x1080 mode in 720P mode you get 28-1008mm in 35mm , ETC looks identical in HD video i am not sure about stills,there is an adaptor coming out that will give control to canon efs lenses but obviously it would meen manual focus, there are adaptors now that take some lenses its a bit confusing, i have a tamron 10-24mm[a good canon fit lens]also a tamron 28-300mm plus a canon 50mm f1.8 and i dont know whether to keep the lenses or not.
Regarding panning i dont know why but its well known,also i forgot to say with an 8gb card the 550D gave around 22 mins of video the GH2 gives at least 4 times that.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

There's this blog I follow... The writer has been a strong criticizer of DSLRs because of aliasing / moire in the Canons and Nikons. Now he writes this: Self-Reliant Film - The Panasonic GH2: Some thoughts.

Another voice that seems to appreciate the Panasonic GH2 more than previous cameras.
chrishull3

Post by chrishull3 »

http://vimeo.com/19927743 this is a short 1080i [not P as stated]and 720P test,even playing strait from camera onto my 50" 1920[ tv i have to struggle to see differences in sharpness resolution between the two, i know my eyes have seen better days.
chrishull3

Post by chrishull3 »

http://vimeo.com/17980452 It seems i may be right and for pal users 720P is seriously worth thinking about,24P does not have a good motion IMO.