Sony HXR-NX30 - experiences?

3D - HDR-TD10 (2011).
Professional models - HXR-NX70 (2011). HXR-MC2000, HXR-MC50 (2010).
Flash Memory / consumer - HDR-CX260V, HDR-CX580V, HDR-CX740VE, HDR-CX760V (2012). HDR-CX360V, HDR-CX560V, HDR-CX700V (2011). HDR-CX110, HDR-CX150, HDR-CX300, HDR-CX350V, HDR-CX550V (2010). HDR-CX100 (2009). HDR-CX12 (2008). HDR-CX7 (2007).
Hard Disk / consumer - HDR-XR260V (2012). HDR-XR150, HDR-XR350V, HDR-XR550V (2010). HDR-XR100, HDR-XR200, HDR-XR500, HDR-XR520 (2009). HDR-SR11, HDR-SR12 (2008). HDR-SR5, HDR-SR7 (2007).
dalemccl

Re: Sony HXR-NX30 - experiences?

Post by dalemccl »

Rolando wrote:Yes, in "standard" stabilization mode, the entire optical block moves (as far as I can judge from the visible movement of the optical block).

What "fixed shot" means is a mystery for me. The operating manual says it "further reduces camera-shake. When you attempt operations such as pan and tilt, turn Off the FIXED SHOT function." I made several tests, including pans and tilts, but could not see any differences. "Fixed Shot" does NOT use the digital zoom if you are in "standard steaydshot" mode, however, if you are in "active steaydshot" mode, digi zoom is on with or without "fixed shot".

Have you seen the following videos:

http://vimeo.com/39824407
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGytmxNs0qY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phyrmmfD ... re=related
Thanks for the additional information. The possibility that "fixed mode" would provide better stabilization in non-pan/tilt situations is the main attraction to me of the NX30 over the CX/PJ760. Since your testing didn't show any visible differences with fixed mode, I may go with the lower-priced 760.

Thanks for the links to videos. I had seen all three. The second one shows a brief comparison of the fixed mode to the standard mode. Fixed was clearly more stable than standard. But for some reason they didn't compare fixed to the active mode. Maybe because the digital zoom in active mode would result in a different field of view.
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

dalemccl wrote: But for some reason they didn't compare fixed to the active mode. Maybe because the digital zoom in active mode would result in a different field of view.
I would think that would be because The Active mode would be much closer to the new lastest Balanced SteadyShot mode. There is a much bigger difference between the 'standard' mode and the new BalancaedSteadyShot, so thats why i think they did the on-screen comparison between Standard and the latest 'Super-active' Balanced mode. I have to say it is quite impressive.
Rolando

Post by Rolando »

There is a much bigger difference between the 'standard' mode and the new BalancaedSteadyShot
To make it clear: In the NX30 the "standard" mode is the new "Balanced Optical SteadyShot" ("BOSS", as I call it). The NX30' "active" mode is a combination of "BOSS" plus digital steadyshot.
Graham

Post by Graham »

I have owned a NX30 for some time now, and I was frustrated in the beginning with the functional difficulty of fitting a filter under the hood. (The hood is contoured to fit around the camera body, but stands proud of the body when a filter is fitted) Surely everyone who owns a NX30 has the same issue? Has anyone got a fix for this issue? Or doesn't anybody use a UV filter as a protector for the lens any more? I have been using adhesive tape to keep the hood in place. It looks a bit ordinary.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

I ceased to use UV filter protection for this reason (unable to fit one). That's a bit annoying, because with this Balanced Steadishot system, the lens is especially more difficult to reach & clean. Means more time spent using the microfiber tissue...
Graham

Post by Graham »

Hello Stephan,
This problem has been bugging me for a while, you may have gathered (bad design). I have come up with a solution. I am using Velcro to keep the hood in place. I have placed adhesive "hook" tape around the body of the camera, and around the flange of the hood. I have cut and shaped a piece of corresponding "loop" tape (not adhesive, sew on type) which is applied around the flange and the body, hey presto! This holds the hood firm and it looks smart too.
Smarky

Post by Smarky »

Hi Graham,

Graham wrote:
> Hello Stephan,
> This problem has been bugging me for a while, you may have gathered (bad design).
> I have come up with a solution. I am using Velcro to keep the hood in place. I have
> placed adhesive "hook" tape around the body of the camera, and around the flange
> of the hood. I have cut and shaped a piece of corresponding "loop" tape (not adhesive,
> sew on type) which is applied around the flange and the body, hey presto! This holds
> the hood firm and it looks smart too.

Sorry to be jumping in on this a bit late, however I've only just discovered this forum... (ironically around the same time I took delivery of my funny little brand new HXR-NX30P.... Lovin' it!) Very interested in your 'Velcro Fix' re filters and the supplied lens hood. This could solve my problem as I have a 'Bright sunlight/on water' shoot coming up and desperately need a polariser/lens hood combo solution. Would there be any chance you could kindly post a couple of pics showing how you made this work? Thanks and regards, Mark - Airlie Beach QLD
Graham

Post by Graham »

Hello Mark, I don't think posting pictures is available on this site. Can I message them to you some other way?
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

When you hit "Post Reply," underneath the reply box should be a tab that says "Upload Attachment." You should be able to post pics that way.
Adam
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Hi, there are only a few technical limitations that I had to set up initially, so that attached pictures can show without breaking the site layout. They are in the forum FAQ, I'm also including them here:
  • Each uploaded image can be up to 100 KB, up to 3 images per post.
  • Any image up to 800x800 pixels will be directly shown in your posts. Images larger than 800x800 will only show as a link (that people will need to download in a 2nd step). This is to prevent larger images from disrupting the website layout and making it difficult to read.
  • Maximum image size is 1920x1080, although obviously you don't want to reach that size in a 100 KB file.
By all means, do post whatever pictures you think will be helpful :-)