What is the best handycam?

3D - HDR-TD10 (2011).
Professional models - HXR-NX70 (2011). HXR-MC2000, HXR-MC50 (2010).
Flash Memory / consumer - HDR-CX260V, HDR-CX580V, HDR-CX740VE, HDR-CX760V (2012). HDR-CX360V, HDR-CX560V, HDR-CX700V (2011). HDR-CX110, HDR-CX150, HDR-CX300, HDR-CX350V, HDR-CX550V (2010). HDR-CX100 (2009). HDR-CX12 (2008). HDR-CX7 (2007).
Hard Disk / consumer - HDR-XR260V (2012). HDR-XR150, HDR-XR350V, HDR-XR550V (2010). HDR-XR100, HDR-XR200, HDR-XR500, HDR-XR520 (2009). HDR-SR11, HDR-SR12 (2008). HDR-SR5, HDR-SR7 (2007).
FoxAdriano

What is the best handycam?

Post by FoxAdriano »

Hi, I have a Sony AX2000 and not I'd like to buy a smaller videocamera (handycam) to make documentaries around the world. I need a small size but with very good video like or better than Sony AX2000. May be is it better I wait for some months? Will other handycams ship in some months? I thank you for your suggestions.
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: What is the best handycam?

Post by Stephan »

Hi, I'm extremely satisfied with the video quality of my new HDR-CX740VE. It's really amazing, as good as I could hope for. Small consumer cams have made enormous progress.

Sound is an issue, though. The external input jack is useless in my cam (somehow it causes internal reverberation / echo and amplifies all background noise). So you want to think beyond just video, and also take into account what you need in the audio department. For a documentary I think you need proper, separate audio recording.

But video is really "Wow!"

PS: it does have a small lens, compared to your AX2000. Although the lens is much better than, for example, my old HDR-HC3 (R.I.P.), you should expect significantly more halo than your AX2000 in high contrast situations - especially at night (for example city lights or car headlights - you will need to avoid them).
steve

Post by steve »

What a coincidence Stephan,
I have used an HC3E for the last 6 years as a vacation camera, but mine is still in working order, (touch wood). I have just bought an HDR-CX730E to replace it. The versions with internal memory and projectors are not easy to get in the UK, but the 730 hits all the buttons for my requirements.
The choice was between the Canon G10, the Panasonic HC-X900 and the 730. The big pull for me is the balanced steady shot which beats the other three by a mile. One of the problems I find on vacation shoots is the impracticability of a tripod and sometimes even a monopod can be cumbersome. Hand-held shots can be very difficult particularly when taken during exercise such as walking or when it is very hot. Even breathing rhythms can be seen on long shots.
I'm waiting for a chance to test the LCD screen under high ambient light levels as I do value the hybrid screens on my HC3E and FX1E, both of which are quite usable with bright sunlight actually on them.
As far as sound is concerned, I haven't tried an external mic. yet if sound is critical, I tend to use a Zoom H1, maybe with a mono lavalier. The inbuilt 5.1 setup certainly does something special to the sound and I can see the levels of all six channels when I load the clips onto a Vegas Pro 12 timeline.
I will be taking this camera with me in a couple of months and am looking into the VMC UAM1 cable that seems to allow copying media files direct from the camera to a USB device such as a pocket HDD. This could allow back-up without the weight and bulk of a laptop.
FoxAdriano,
As far as picture quality is concerned, I haven't had much opportunity to check out performance under difficult light conditions, but the images under normal conditions seem better than a friend's NX5E, (which is the pro equivalent of the AX2000). In addition, there's 50p shooting which doesn't have the compromises of 25p.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Zoom H1 - thanks for the tip! Lightweight and inexpensive, I'll have to try that.

=> Do you have a windscreen for it? How effective is it? That's my main need for an external mic essentially (avoiding wind noise).

I had the same camcorder choices, and went for the Sony because the sample footage I found on the net for the other two just looked disappointing regarding color and contrast.

Regarding the LCD in bright sunlight, well, it's not so good. It's okay if spotless clean, but the LCD attracts grease, and soon enough the grease will reflect light and cover a bit the image beneath. I carry some wet cleaning clothes (that I use for my glasses) to clean the LCD every few days or week.

@FoxAdriano: regarding stabilization as Steve said, the CX730/740 are amazing! Check this video between 18:16 and 18:47, how smooth the video is in a 4WD vehicle despite the bumps in the dirt road. However, I only use "active stabilization" when in a moving vehicle (since the slight digital zoom-in degrades the picture a little bit - but that won't be visible if the whole picture frame is moving), and use standard optical stabilization in other situations.

FoxAdriano

Post by FoxAdriano »

I have just noticed the stabilization of the little Sony is amazing. What I don't like about it is its little Zoom. It is 10x only. What a pity! In your opinion how does the digital Zoom work? How much does it degrade the picture? Thanks for some suggestions.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

It depends on your eyes and expectations, I'd say.

I do see a difference when the picture is static. As you want to keep the camera still ordinarily, in order to take advantage of Hi Def, the picture is so sharp that I do see a degradation with digital zoom - like the digital zoom that's involved with "active" stabilization.

You would need to see by yourself, but personally I avoid digital zoom. You lose too much precision in the image. But I'm really picky.
steve

Post by steve »

Stephan,
I haven't got a windshield for the H1 but it is very sensitive to wind and even air movement when handling. That's not a problem with a lavalier of course.
So far, I've only used it on active stabilisation so haven't seen the true limit of optical zoom. You can see the degradation at the long end which I imagine is where the additional sensor resolution is used to crop and rescale the image. Its a shame that there isn't a setting to limit the zoom range to avoid this.
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

off-topic : but related to the comments about Zoom H1 :
i have the Tamrac DR-05 and it is similar size and price to a Zoom H1. It has been great, apparently it is made quite a bit more sturdily than H1 (i have H4N too).

Both H1 and Tamrac DR-05 are much much lighter than the H4N which is handy for sticking it in someones coat pocket, -- i connect a wired lavalier (a Giant Squid lav, cheap and good) to the Tamrac and it works well. Auto levels or manual levels, etc.

Back on topic, yes Sony's new image stabilisation is really remarkable.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

Doughie, do you mean Tascam DR-05? Tamrac makes cases, I think (and Tamron makes lenses). Maybe it's different where you are.
Adam
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

acgold7 wrote:Doughie, do you mean Tascam DR-05? Tamrac makes cases, I think (and Tamron makes lenses). Maybe it's different where you are.
Yep that's it !! Tascam, not Tamrac! Probably not enough coffee that day.
-- Tascam make sound recorders etc, Tamrac make stuff like camera bags etc, and Tamron make lenses. I have equipment from all 3 of those manufacturers, got them a little mixed up...

Here's the link :

Anyway, i myself was considering the Zoom H1, and on balance i went with the Tascam DR-05 and its really a very nice recorder. Recommended.