Sony HXR-NX30U: buy now, or wait?

3D - HDR-TD10 (2011).
Professional models - HXR-NX70 (2011). HXR-MC2000, HXR-MC50 (2010).
Flash Memory / consumer - HDR-CX260V, HDR-CX580V, HDR-CX740VE, HDR-CX760V (2012). HDR-CX360V, HDR-CX560V, HDR-CX700V (2011). HDR-CX110, HDR-CX150, HDR-CX300, HDR-CX350V, HDR-CX550V (2010). HDR-CX100 (2009). HDR-CX12 (2008). HDR-CX7 (2007).
Hard Disk / consumer - HDR-XR260V (2012). HDR-XR150, HDR-XR350V, HDR-XR550V (2010). HDR-XR100, HDR-XR200, HDR-XR500, HDR-XR520 (2009). HDR-SR11, HDR-SR12 (2008). HDR-SR5, HDR-SR7 (2007).
kameraguy

Sony HXR-NX30U: buy now, or wait?

Post by kameraguy »

Hi everyone,

I am interested in the HXR-NX30U, and I see there is a $100 rebate available until the end of the year. The camera has almost everything I am looking for and I am thinking of pulling the trigger. However being the camera has been out for a while, and with the rebate in effect, i can't help but think a replacement model is coming soon.

I haven't found any discussion on if this is the case though.

Is anyone familiar of a new version coming out that would be worth the wait? Or for the current price, is it a good buy?

I'm also open to any suggestions on comparables from other brands, however it appears the BOSS system is really best-in-class. I really value the image stabilization ability of the NX30U.

Appreciate any feedback!

Thank you.
Rolando

Re: Sony HXR-NX30U: buy now, or wait?

Post by Rolando »

I use the Sony NX30 for quite some time and am excited about it, especially about its image stabilization technique. In addition I use the Sony NX5 whenever I need more camera control.

I do not know about a follow-up for the NX30. The Sony HRX-NX3 seems to be a NX5 follow-up.
kameraguy

Re: Sony HXR-NX30U: buy now, or wait?

Post by kameraguy »

Thank you for the reply Rolando. I was looking into the NX30U some more and I just can't find much comparison between it and other brands so far. However, from looking into other options for comparison sake, I stumbled upon the JVC GY-HM150U. It is a 3 CCD camcorder, and seems to have a similar poition within the JVC line, "perhaps" more broadcast-capable even. Online, Amazon has it for around $1650, whereas the NX30U is $1800-ish after rebate.

Between the two, I like the JVC better on paper for the following:

* 3 chip CCD -> it's my understanding this provides more accurate color, and also is not susceptible to rolling shutter issues present with CMOS.

* a true manual focus dial -> although it's not clear to me yet if this is an actual rotating dial, or a up-down rocking ring that doesn't actually rotate 360 degrees. I hope it actis as a true MF ring so i can add a gear for follow-focus if needed.

* seems to have more dedicated physical buttons than the NX30U -> i like having to not deal with a menu if it can be avoided with a button.

* although not a huge deal, it seems the viewfinder on the JVC is more useable than the NX30U -> i like using the viewfinder as another point of contact for reduced shake when filming

I'm still looking at the JVC specs and youtube reviews. It seems this also came out about a year ago and has since reduced in price accordingly. I also wonder if/when a replacement will come out.

Although replacements for both may be a moot point for my budget...I wish to stay at the $2k mark max.

So between these two, I am debating.

I will say it seems the NX30U still has the best stabilization system by far. From the reviews I've read, the JVC is adequate, but not exceptional like the Sony.