Video files on XR520 are downloading as jpgs urgent help pls

3D - HDR-TD10 (2011).
Professional models - HXR-NX70 (2011). HXR-MC2000, HXR-MC50 (2010).
Flash Memory / consumer - HDR-CX260V, HDR-CX580V, HDR-CX740VE, HDR-CX760V (2012). HDR-CX360V, HDR-CX560V, HDR-CX700V (2011). HDR-CX110, HDR-CX150, HDR-CX300, HDR-CX350V, HDR-CX550V (2010). HDR-CX100 (2009). HDR-CX12 (2008). HDR-CX7 (2007).
Hard Disk / consumer - HDR-XR260V (2012). HDR-XR150, HDR-XR350V, HDR-XR550V (2010). HDR-XR100, HDR-XR200, HDR-XR500, HDR-XR520 (2009). HDR-SR11, HDR-SR12 (2008). HDR-SR5, HDR-SR7 (2007).
susanlondon

Video files on XR520 are downloading as jpgs urgent help pls

Post by susanlondon »

Hi

I have important video files on my HDR-XR 520 which I never downloaded ( but super need to now) -- yet while they are registering in the HD as occupying the correct space , they are downloading only as JPGS -- not as the video files I shot. What can I do ? Should I use the IMG repair option ? Or will that end all hope forever ?

susan
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: Video files on XR520 are downloading as jpegs urgent hel

Post by acgold7 »

What's the "correct" space? Do these videos play properly on the cam itself? Are you using the Sony PMB software to transfer to PC? Do the files show up in the cam as .MTS files?

You're absolutely sure, and have verified, that you were really in VIDEO mode while you were shooting and not PHOTO? You checked and reviewed your videos as you shot them?

When you connect the cam to the PC via USB, it should just show up as another Hard Drive and should list all the MTS files -- it'll be a couple of folders down.
Adam
Doughie
Global Moderator

Re: Video files on XR520 are downloading as jpgs urgent help

Post by Doughie »

Susan i think you are looking in the wrong folder.

I have XR520 too - it stores photos in a SEPARATE folder to HiDEf video and again Standard-Def video (mpeg) is in a different folder.

When you connect your camera to the computer check carefully all the folders and if you did actually shoot it in HiDef there will be .MTS files there.
It is easy on the XR520 to switch between HiDef (MTS files) and Standard-Def (.MPG files) so if you really cannot find MTS files of your footage on your cam, try looking in another folder for MPG files. you may have accidentally shot it in Standard def.

I doubt you've lost your work, so look very carefully..
susanlondon

Post by susanlondon »

hi

thanks for suggestions, but no joy. I for sure recorded them in video.Some of those now showing as jpgs which are basically screen grabs seemingly robbed of their video components have been downloaded and edited into a film already. The bit never downloaded ( an interview I really urgently need) I never downloaded but originally watched as video on the camera ( I can't do this now as it shows as not being there in any way other than by occupying g's). I have checked the files -- and there is no folder with MPG files, just one for DCIM, containing the jpgs -- and one for MTS files -- but this contains the only video still downloading as video ( which was shot more recently than the missing needed footage). I downloaded a disc image onto my HD and that confirms it is occupying 222g . The camera shows it as nearing half full. This is the right amount, reflecting the correct time of video shot -- and impossible to fill with jpgs only. I worry that something happened when I connected it to my computer and aperture opened immediately and zoomed thumbnails of the video before I stopped it. What happens if I do the IMG repair option ? will that repair or delete hope forever ?

thanks

s
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

Wow, that certainly sounds like a unique and bizarre problem.

If what you say is true, then the video files are already likely destroyed, so not much to lose using the repair option. But before I did this I'd go to a Sony Service center -- there must be at least one in a big city like London -- and see if they could do anything.

This isn't really a relevant point, I don't think, but curious just the same: 222G on the disc image would be virtually full on the cam's HDD, so I'm wondering about the disconnect between this number and the idea that the cam is "half" full. Probably unrelated but strange.
Adam
susanlondon

Post by susanlondon »

thanks, Adam , ( and all ) for trying to help. Sorry to have taken so long to reply but have been away until just now . I've been shooting video and did not dare even try to download it while away and now am terrifed to even try and download it -- esp not knowing what caused the problem before. And this footage is extremely important. But I have to do it. Any ideas why it might have happened ? or hw to avoid now? The video is all showing normally on the camera ( touch wood ) ?
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

Just make sure you copy the entire directory structure to the PC. Then search for mts files using the Sony software.

If the problem recurs I think you have no choice but to bring it into a service center and have them help you.
Adam
susanlondon

Post by susanlondon »

Thanks. I will have to bite the bullet. I am BTW not PC but Mac -- and to this point have had no problem whatsoever uploading via imovie. None. And some continued to work. Oh dear.

fingers crossed... thanks again
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

That probably explains it. Lots of posts all over the web about the difficulties with Macs and AVCHD.

I'd find the nearest Mac Genius Bar and have then walk you through it.
Adam
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

i too heard plenty of probs with Macs and AVCHD files.

sorry to hear of your continuing problems with this stuff Susan. I've not heard of anyone with any probs like this before. I myself have an XR520 and have never had any probs with getting video off the cam, it's all been 100% reliable and no lost files, but i guess you got unlucky. I use PCs and just drag and drop the files off the cam and no probs at all.