Creating standard DVD using HD clips

3D - HDR-TD10 (2011).
Professional models - HXR-NX70 (2011). HXR-MC2000, HXR-MC50 (2010).
Flash Memory / consumer - HDR-CX260V, HDR-CX580V, HDR-CX740VE, HDR-CX760V (2012). HDR-CX360V, HDR-CX560V, HDR-CX700V (2011). HDR-CX110, HDR-CX150, HDR-CX300, HDR-CX350V, HDR-CX550V (2010). HDR-CX100 (2009). HDR-CX12 (2008). HDR-CX7 (2007).
Hard Disk / consumer - HDR-XR260V (2012). HDR-XR150, HDR-XR350V, HDR-XR550V (2010). HDR-XR100, HDR-XR200, HDR-XR500, HDR-XR520 (2009). HDR-SR11, HDR-SR12 (2008). HDR-SR5, HDR-SR7 (2007).
Puzzled lad

Creating standard DVD using HD clips

Post by Puzzled lad »

Apologies for the long post.

In short, I want to create standard DVDs of HD video clips I have shot on a Sony Handycam HDR-SR12E.

Details of what I have done so far:
I have a Sony Handycam HDR-SR12E with which I have shot many video clips. I imported the clips onto my desktop computer using the Easy PC Back-up facility in the Handycam Utility. (Windows explorer shows that this resulted in a .m2ts file and a .modd file for each clip. I can play the clips on my computer using Windows Media Player.) The Sony application asked me if I would like to analyse the clips. I clicked yes. In the progress display, a "clock face with a moving arm" appeared to left of the filename being analysed. At the end of the analysis of each file, a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark appeared under the "clock face" probably indicating an error but no error report was visible. (Windows explorer showed a .moff file for each clip)

When I launch the Sony-supplied application Picture Motion Browser Version 3.0.00.11220 to view the clips, PMB comes up in Folders view and then takes an eternity to create the thumbnails for the clips and still does not succeed - the thumbnails are all the same and are not pictures of the first frame of the clip but some default blank or error thumbnail. (Compared to that Windows explorer instantly displays correct thumbnails.)

The PMB Guide says "Registering videos and still images is necessary if you want to view the videos and still images you have saved to a computer with Picture Motion Browser". But when I follow the procedure detailed the the Guide, in the "Register Folders to View" window, my cursor changes from an arrow to a "no entry" circle when I point to any folder.

I gave up on PMB and used Roxio Creator DE, Version: 9.0.116.I selected Video/ Create a DVD with MyDVD. In the window "MyDVD 9 - Untitled (DVD)", I selected Add New Movie. Added a few .m2ts files and opted to "insert all video clips as one movie". The display said "some or all files will need to be converted ...." and I opted for the conversion to go ahead. A "failure to create map" message appeared.

HELP!!
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: Creating standard DVD using HD clips

Post by acgold7 »

While I think you were smart to leave PMB behind, I fear you may have jumped from the frying pan into the fire by going to Roxio. I've never heard anything good about it, have never read about anyone who likes it, and had horrible experiences with it myself when I tried it many years ago.

You might try Sony's Vegas Movie Studio Platinum. It should have a free trial download you can try. Burning a DVD should be a simple one-touch task.

A comparison of the Vegas products can be found here:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/mov ... pe/compare

This is the US site; there may be a UK equivalent.
Adam
halfpipe

Post by halfpipe »

Sony's PMB is a marvelous (great) tool.
You can through settings have it index the files you import at a different time
I've got a variety of video software programs and PMB is the one I use most (especially for authoring)
Puzzled lad

Post by Puzzled lad »

halfpipe wrote:Sony's PMB is a marvelous (great) tool.
You can through settings have it index the files you import at a different time
I've got a variety of video software programs and PMB is the one I use most (especially for authoring)
It is encouraging to learn that you find PMB a marvelous tool. May I know what steps you follow to import HD clips and then to process them to create a DVD? Perhaps you can identify something I am doing wrong.

My computer has the following spec:
Processor: Intel Core2 6300 @ 1.86GHz
RAM: 2.00GB
Disc space: plenty spare