Video editing with the Sony Handycam HDR-CX115E,please help!

3D - HDR-TD10 (2011).
Professional models - HXR-NX70 (2011). HXR-MC2000, HXR-MC50 (2010).
Flash Memory / consumer - HDR-CX260V, HDR-CX580V, HDR-CX740VE, HDR-CX760V (2012). HDR-CX360V, HDR-CX560V, HDR-CX700V (2011). HDR-CX110, HDR-CX150, HDR-CX300, HDR-CX350V, HDR-CX550V (2010). HDR-CX100 (2009). HDR-CX12 (2008). HDR-CX7 (2007).
Hard Disk / consumer - HDR-XR260V (2012). HDR-XR150, HDR-XR350V, HDR-XR550V (2010). HDR-XR100, HDR-XR200, HDR-XR500, HDR-XR520 (2009). HDR-SR11, HDR-SR12 (2008). HDR-SR5, HDR-SR7 (2007).
Tessa2010

Video editing with the Sony Handycam HDR-CX115E,please help!

Post by Tessa2010 »

Hi everyone,

This summer I've been on holiday in Australia and I've made about 2 hours of video in total with the Sony Handycam HDR-CX115E. It's a great videorecorder, but I have a problem:

In the past I had an old videorecorder, which just saved all the things I recorded, as 1 big video. That video I put on the computer, and then I opened the file in the programme Ulead Video Studio. Afterwards I could edit anything I wanted.

But the Sony Handycam saved all the small videos apart, so now I have like 400 small videos. Some are just 5 seconds, some are 5 minutes.
I've put them all on my computer, but now I have to open every single video, to see what it is.

My question is: does anyone know how to put all the small videos of the Sony Handycam, as ONE big video on my computer? So I can work with one file in Ulead Video Studio or any other programme, and not with 400 different, small videos.

Thanks a lot in advance! I'd love to make a summaryvideo of my holiday, but I just don't know how so I hope anyone can help me!

Kind regards,
Tessa.
halfpipe

Re: Video editing with the Sony Handycam HDR-CX115E,please h

Post by halfpipe »

If Sony PMB came with your camcorder then it will be an easy matter.
Open PMB and navigate to the videoes you shot, select all of them then click on make disc and the program will put all you videos into one big long video and then burn it on the disc you specify
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

The last thing you want to do is combine it all into one long file. You'd be re-encoding and possibly downconverting to SD in the process. And she says she wants to edit, not burn everything to one disc.

Not too long ago, people were complaining when the editors captured HDV as one long clip rather than as separate shots. Now it's the opposite.

Tessa, each shot is a separate file for a reason. It's so you can easily trim and re-arrange all your shots into a proper movie. That's how they do it in Hollywood. If it were all one long file then you'd be slicing and moving everything around anyway, so making it one file is just extra work. Besides, with most editors you could simply select all the clips and place them on the timeline in order, so it would be like it's one long clip anyway, with the added benefit of being able to select any clips you don't want and delete them with a single click.

I know it seems daunting, but you must just train yourself to this new workflow. Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

But no shots should ever be only 5 seconds.
Adam
Tessa2010

Post by Tessa2010 »

Hi Adam,

Thanks so much for your answer! I'm sorry for this late reaction, I haven't had time to work on the video I'm trying to make and so I forgot to answer you here on the forum.

Ok, so I'll have to work with seperate small videos. If there's no other option, then I'll do that! Just one more question; I've put all the small videos from the Sony Handycam on my computer, and the files are AVCHD-videos. I can't open them in Ulead Video Studio version 11, which I'm using to make the big video of my holiday.

So, I'm using 'Any Video Converter' to convert the videos into another file, for example AVI or WMV. This works, but the problem is that the new files are played in slow-motion... When it's AVI, it turns into slowmotion, when it's for example WMV, then the files will be played much faster than the original one :S

I've already checked the options of the programme Any Video Converter, but I couldn't find anything about slow-motion or anything like that. Do you have any idea how I can convert the AVCHD-videos into AVI or whatever (what do peeps use most of the time?), so that the speed is still the same, like the original videos I made with the Handycam?

I hope you can help me! I'll check the forum a couple of times per day now and will answer you right away this time! ;-)

Thanks so much in advance!

Regards,
Tessa.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

I'm not familiar with those programs. I'd recommend Sony's Vegas Movie Studio Platinum for an inexpensive, simple, reliable editor that will work with your footage. But Ulead should support AVCHD and work just fine as well. Version 11 is old, from 2007, so you need the plus power pack update and you must use the “Insert Video” function to import m2ts files directly from your AVCHD disc, hard drive, or memory card camcorder.

WMV is not an editing format. AVI can be, but it's not HD. Don't convert to either.
Adam
Tessa2010

Post by Tessa2010 »

Adam,
Thanks for your help! I'll give it a try and if I can't fix it, I'll get back to you.