Sony HXR-MC2000 Hands-On Review

3D - HDR-TD10 (2011).
Professional models - HXR-NX70 (2011). HXR-MC2000, HXR-MC50 (2010).
Flash Memory / consumer - HDR-CX260V, HDR-CX580V, HDR-CX740VE, HDR-CX760V (2012). HDR-CX360V, HDR-CX560V, HDR-CX700V (2011). HDR-CX110, HDR-CX150, HDR-CX300, HDR-CX350V, HDR-CX550V (2010). HDR-CX100 (2009). HDR-CX12 (2008). HDR-CX7 (2007).
Hard Disk / consumer - HDR-XR260V (2012). HDR-XR150, HDR-XR350V, HDR-XR550V (2010). HDR-XR100, HDR-XR200, HDR-XR500, HDR-XR520 (2009). HDR-SR11, HDR-SR12 (2008). HDR-SR5, HDR-SR7 (2007).
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: Sony HXR-MC2000 Hands-On Review

Post by acgold7 »

Stephan's right; you can't ever really predict what Sony will do.

I wouldn't expect 1080p60 any time soon in this format, as it won't be supported in any professional workflow for a while yet. You still can't really edit it in most professional packages, and you can't distribute or display it yet very easily either. May well be the default format in a few years but I wouldn't base my buying decisions on that factor at this point. But if 1080p60 is important to you, you'd be better off with the cx700 -- more features at a lower price, if I'm not mistaken.

Can't comment on the internal temps of the unit but I doubt they're an issue even on the small cams. Have never heard of one overheating and your theory about your cam is, at this point, just conjecture.

The chief selling point of the MC2000 (and the HD1000 before it) is the form factor, which makes it ideal for corporate and run n' gun ENG situations where how it looks might be more important that the actual picture quality. With one of these on your shoulder people will take you more seriously, fairly or not.
Adam
david lambursky

Post by david lambursky »

Hey Adam,

You are definitely right! The form factor of MC2000 is the main selling point, and that is the reason for me to consider this camcorder.

For most of the people who are not involved in video, the "look" of this camcorder is even more professional than some of the "more expensive" camorders such as Panasonic AG-HMC40PU or HDRFX7. This is quite an advantage for filming wedding and/or events.

For the 1080/60i, I was actually thinking about the 1080/30p option. I understand 60i can be "converted" to 30p in post productions, but was thinking it would a nice option to have in this camcorder.

By the way, not sure if this is relevent or useful, but would you also test the camcorder about the timing. What I mean is to record something for a whole day or until the full 64 G is consumed.
- The reason for this is that I do a lot of seminar filmings, and those seminars usually run for the full day (9pm to 5pm); as per my other post for SR8, I am not sure if running the camera for an extended period of time is a factor that contributed to the jittering issue. As a result, maybe trying to test the MC2000 by running it for extended period can help to see the quality :S not sure if it's a good way to do...
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

The MC2000 doesn't do any form of progressive. You could convert to 30p in post, but why? It doesn't look very good and can't be burned to any form of disc nor reliably played on conventional TVs. If you go to the Sony website and look at the suggested uses for this cam, none of them lend themselves to 30p. Sports would be particularly bad for this.

I've never really heard of a cam of this type overheating. A RED, yes; they tend to spontaneously combust. But not something like this. Really, I think this isn't a valid fear.

But you're right -- it would be great to have the internals of a cx700v in this body. With Sony, you just never know what's around the corner.
Adam
david lambursky

Post by david lambursky »

Hey Adam,

Have u look into the panasonic AGHMC80P? How does it compare with sony's MC2000?

The difference in price isn't too much and each has its pros and cons... so just wondering ur take on it....
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

I haven't looked at it in detail because it's an older model which has been out for quite some time and there are already quite a few reviews on it. It does appear similar and has some added features compared to the MC2000, which may justify the higher price. It would be interesting to see them side by side, indeed.
Adam
JoeCardoni

Post by JoeCardoni »

Hello.

I am hoping you can answer my question about the HXR-MC2000 camcorder I am considering for purchase.

We do video depositions for legal proceedings. We have been recording onto Mini DV tapes with simultaneous throughput via RCA composite cables to a Sony VRD-MC6 DVD recorder. The date and time stamp is recorded onto both the Mini-DV tape and the DVD.

The date and time stamp is an absolute necessity.

When I reviewed the Operating Manual for the HXR-MC2000, page 17 stated that the date/time is not displayed when recording but can be displayed during playback.

I understand that the date/time can be recorded if I playback and record at a later date.

My question: Can I get this Camcorder to record the date/time on my Sony DVD recorder at the time of initial recording and throughput decribed above?

I appreciate any input you can give me because if I can't do that, I will need to buy another camcorder that will allow this.

Thanks,
Joe Cardoni
Exhibit A Inc.
570-587-3232
570-466-5653 cell
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

It's a great question and to be honest with you I don't know. As I no longer have the review units, I'm unable to test this. The manual doesn't make it look like you can do this.

"The date and time does not appear during recording, but they are automatically recorded on the
recording media, and can be displayed during playback. To display the date and time, touch
(MENU)  [Show others]  [PLAYBACK SET] (under [PLAYBACK] category)  [DATA
CODE]  [DATE/TIME]    ."
Adam
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

The problem as far as i can see it with all this 'its a legal thing, i need the time/date stamped on the video' is simply this : you can set the time&date to ANY value, its all down to the 'honesty' of the person setting the camera. I could set the time and date on my camcorder to June 28th 1998 or something and pretend it's 'today'. I have no reason to do that, but someone COULD simply change the camcorder's time and date manually to any value.

When i need to shoot a video segment and prove that the video is "not before xyz date" i simply buy a copy of a well-known newspaper from that day, and film the newspaper at the start of the video, with the headlines and newspaper date visible. That proves that the video was not shot BEFORE that date. It does not prove it was shot ON that date, just 'the date of the newspaper or any day after'. But that is fairly concrete evidence that the video was filmed on that day or after. A news headline is provable and non-fakeable.

Just food for thought on the whole 'i want concrete date stamp on my video'.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

Doughie, your points are all well-taken and make perfect sense, but the rules of logic do not apply when you are dealing with the US legal system. For legal and court proceedings, many jurisdictions require this date/time stamp, regardless of how easily it can be faked. Makes no sense, I know, bit it is what it is.

I understand the OP's need, and without an MC2000 at hand I can't test his theory.

Generally, one must move up to the pro level to get cams that permanently burn in the date and time. The NX5 has this feature but its prosumer cousin the AX2000 does not. Neither does the MC2000.

I just tested this on an xr520v, which has an identical menu system and internal logic, and unfortunately it doesn't work. No data display while recording, only upon playback. I suppose you could record the session first and then make the DVD upon playback.
Adam
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

fair comment on the date thing, its just mildly bizarre to me that a date/time could be so easily manipulated.

But yes, back to the requirement, i have seen this 'date/time stamp required' question appear quite regularly on various forums. XR520 as you said (i have one) just shows it on playback by enabling 'Data code'. But it's just 'floating' text that is overlaid on the video, its not embedded in it. I do think it is a useful function to have it 'burnt in' to the video itself during recording. I am a bit surprised that functionality isn't a bit more common amongst camcorder products to be honest.