HDR-CX160 -- date/time stamp transfer issues

3D - HDR-TD10 (2011).
Professional models - HXR-NX70 (2011). HXR-MC2000, HXR-MC50 (2010).
Flash Memory / consumer - HDR-CX260V, HDR-CX580V, HDR-CX740VE, HDR-CX760V (2012). HDR-CX360V, HDR-CX560V, HDR-CX700V (2011). HDR-CX110, HDR-CX150, HDR-CX300, HDR-CX350V, HDR-CX550V (2010). HDR-CX100 (2009). HDR-CX12 (2008). HDR-CX7 (2007).
Hard Disk / consumer - HDR-XR260V (2012). HDR-XR150, HDR-XR350V, HDR-XR550V (2010). HDR-XR100, HDR-XR200, HDR-XR500, HDR-XR520 (2009). HDR-SR11, HDR-SR12 (2008). HDR-SR5, HDR-SR7 (2007).
sinhaga

HDR-CX160 -- date/time stamp transfer issues

Post by sinhaga »

I've tranferred videos using USB to my PC. However, when I use the Sony suppllied PMB software to burn a DVD (SD video), it does so without the date/time stamp on the video. I noticed that the file is saved with the file name reflecting that information. The file type is TS (AVC) Format and a sample file name just for illustration purposes is 20110525235620.m2ts.

Would love to get pointers on how to go about getting the date/time stamp displayed on the video as I burn it on a DVD. It was so much simpler with the analog cameras.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: HDR-CX160 -- date/time stamp transfer issues

Post by acgold7 »

You can't. This feature is only available on professional cameras. The date time data is metadata only and isn't permanently burned into the image.

There might be some third party software that can extract this and burn it in for AVCHD video, but I don't know of any. Of course you could do it manually but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

[Moved to correct forum]
Adam
sinhaga

Post by sinhaga »

Thanks Adam. Doing it manually would be really cumbersome. Wonder why Sony didn't build this feature into their software. Thanks. Will probably return the camera now. It takes great pictures but I feel the very purpose of capturing home videos is defeated if one can't tell when it was taken. Would you be able to recommend any HD camcorders in the $500-$600 range with the capability of transferring the metadata? Thanks for your help.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

It's not Sony and it's not the camera -- it's the AVCHD format. Same problem with HDV -- the time and date data it written in such a way as it can't be easily extracted and so far no software that I know of can easily do it. Regular DV, yes, but not High Def. I don't know of any cams that do this either. You can show the time and date if you play back from the cam, I think, but not when burning to DVD.

Pro cams have this ability for court proceedings and such, but then it is permanently burned into the picture when it is shot and can't be removed.
Adam
sinhaga

Post by sinhaga »

Thanks for enlightening me. Gosh, it seems digital is a lot more complicated that I thought it to be. Will need to consider another format to capture my 3-month old's antics such that I can actually recall the date when I go back and watch it in the future.
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

sinhaga wrote:Thanks for enlightening me. Gosh, it seems digital is a lot more complicated that I thought it to be. Will need to consider another format to capture my 3-month old's antics such that I can actually recall the date when I go back and watch it in the future.
(my response below is mainy about tape, but there may be equivalent functionality with your cam - not sure)
- When you playback an old tape, you CAN get most Sony cams to display "CAMERA DATA" on screen (both LCD and it wil appear on the TV too if you are playin the tape back via the camcorder) and that shows the time and date. Its not, as Adam etc said, burnt into the footage, but it will show Time/DAte of the footage when its played back on your camcorder. Look for a menu setting labelled 'DATA CODE' for this feature.
This works on both HDV cams and also my AVCHD cam too.

If you are editing the footage, then just super easy in any program to type in the date/time and then render the footage to a file or a DVD.

Simple option, just burn it to a DVD and write on the DVD the date you filmed it.
kpfister

Post by kpfister »

Does anyone have a program that can be used to extract that date/timestamp and place it on the video? I also have a HDR-CX210 and can use the program AVS Video Converter to place a timestamp on the video but I can't with the CX160. Any ideas on a program that will allow me to do this?