Sony HDR CX550E AUTO FOCUS PROBLEMS

3D - HDR-TD10 (2011).
Professional models - HXR-NX70 (2011). HXR-MC2000, HXR-MC50 (2010).
Flash Memory / consumer - HDR-CX260V, HDR-CX580V, HDR-CX740VE, HDR-CX760V (2012). HDR-CX360V, HDR-CX560V, HDR-CX700V (2011). HDR-CX110, HDR-CX150, HDR-CX300, HDR-CX350V, HDR-CX550V (2010). HDR-CX100 (2009). HDR-CX12 (2008). HDR-CX7 (2007).
Hard Disk / consumer - HDR-XR260V (2012). HDR-XR150, HDR-XR350V, HDR-XR550V (2010). HDR-XR100, HDR-XR200, HDR-XR500, HDR-XR520 (2009). HDR-SR11, HDR-SR12 (2008). HDR-SR5, HDR-SR7 (2007).
The Pipster

Sony HDR CX550E AUTO FOCUS PROBLEMS

Post by The Pipster »

Can anyone help me with a problem on my new Sony HDR CX550E? The Auto Focus is struggling terribly to cope in normal indoor shooting when there aren't many features for it to lock onto e.g. if I'm trying to film a wall with only a few marks on it, the AF just cannot do it. I've tried it on the Low Lux setting but this makes no difference. Any ideas anyone?
Phil
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: Sony HDR CX550E AUTO FOCUS PROBLEMS

Post by acgold7 »

Auto focus works by identifying areas of contrast. If there isn't any (or much) it can't do its job. Most auto focus tends to favor the center of the frame.

So you could try centering the frame over something nearby and contrasty, then move over while you shoot. It might or might not hold focus if it gets confused again.
Adam
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Seems to me like a good case for using manual focus!

Place an object (or subject) temporarily on your empty wall, let autofocus do its job, then switch instantly to manual focus so that you lock focus as is. Simple and quick: just assign FOCUS to the manual dial, then depress the button (page 31 of the “Handycam” Handbook).
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

just to echo Adam and Stephan, yes this is one situation where you need to take control and use manual focus. Lack of contrast will make any autofocus cam hunt around trying to get focus. Check your manual, switch to manual focus.

Or one alternative trick is this :
If the object you're shooting is featureless or lacking contrast, then simply pan the cam to another object that you judge is same distance away, let autofocus on that, switch to manual focus to lock the focus, recompose the shot. These small cams have small sensors, gives the camera inherently fairly deep depth-of-field, helps cover up focussing errors a bit, unless you're strongly zoomed in.
The Pipster

Post by The Pipster »

Thanks guys. I will try this. The slight worry is that I've also had a few occasions when the 550E just can't AF onto something with contrast, like a light fitting. Admittedly this has been in fairly lowish light, but I was wondering if this camera is known to have any particular issues with AF?
The Pipster

Post by The Pipster »

Sorry to change tack slightly, but do any of you know how to have the time and date displayed on the Sony CX550E on all playback footage? I've read the manual and activated this setting on the playback, but it does not appear on playback. I need to be able to prove time and date of filming. thanks
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

P.82 Playback Set / Data Code / Date/Time, then p.88 Output Settings / Disp Output / V-Out/Panel if you want data code to be displayed on external video output in addition to built-in LCD.

But the data code is only inserted at playback, it's not embedded in the video, so you will only see it when playing the footage through your camcorder.
The Pipster

Post by The Pipster »

Thanks Stephen for advice on displaying data/time. Is there any way then to embed the data/time in the video? Or can I export the footage somehow with it displayed and then render the date/time with the footage somehow?
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

I remember someone having a similar issue because they were filming as part of some legal process. As far as I remember (I may be very wrong here), only pro models (like Z1, Z5) would allow to embed the date/time.

I think there was a tool which could process raw video files, retrieve date/time and embed it in a visible way, but I can't remember which tool. But if you need to "prove time and date of filming", there's not much left of a proof if that can be done via tool or software.

I couldn't be more specific here, I hope somebody can chime in and give you further help.
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

I think you're right - its just pro models that allow embedding of time/date. I remember a thread a while back about this sort of thing.

But i've always thought this was a bit pointless from a LEGAL standpoint as the time/date embedded is simply the time/date that the user himself sets on the camcorder! That person could easily set the wrong time accidentally or deliberately and therefore there's no "proof" at all of the validity of the time/date except if you do something like include a clip of a TV news broadcast (still not proof - you could record a TV news broadcast and play it back later to film it) or include clip of a front-page of a newspaper (which only shows the video was shot on or after that date, and obviously no info on time).