NX5U Outputs

HDR-AX2000 / HXR-NX5 (2010).
hughdemand

NX5U Outputs

Post by hughdemand »

Hi folks newbie in need of help.
I have ordered 12 new NX5u cameras for, among other purposes, live webstreaming. We have just added another component to our game (hockey) production and I need the AV feed from the camera to not only go to the encoder (composite) or tricaster, but also now to a second external encoder, Haupagge WINTV 1950, connected to laptop (which serves another purpose).

I need to know (the cameras have not arrived yet) if I can connect the SD-SDI output of the camera via coax to the coax (BNC) connector on the WINTV box. And I am presuming and hope someone can confirm that the SD-SDI is both audio & video signal.

I realize this sounds sorta convoluted but hope it is almost clear enough.

Thanks

Hugh
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: NX5U Outputs

Post by Stephan »

Unless you're talking about another product, there doesn't seem to be an SDI input on the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1950. This one is a simple consumer product, it only takes composite or S-Video as it seems.
hughdemand

Post by hughdemand »

Thanks Stephen

I was hoping the BNC "cable" connection on the WINTV could accept the SD-SDI output from the camera.

Well I guess we better be purchasing 12 splitter/amplifiers for the composite out from the camera.

Thanks

Hugh
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

I think that connector is for ordinary aerial / cable connection (that WinTV is a recording TV tuner basically). SDI switching is an altogether different league.

For your purposes, maybe an HDV model might have been helpful - I seem to recall that the IEEE1394 interface (Firewire) supports live SD capture in webcam-like mode (http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/ ... t_options/). But there's a transmission lag which should add the additional challenge of synchronizing all sources together.
hughdemand

Post by hughdemand »

Thanks again Stephan. I will keep you poted as the project continues. We are going to be doing some pretty exciting stuff with our Sony NX5Us. It will serve as our main camera in live streaming of our hockey games. We will be using a Tricster Pro, for mixing and streaming. At the same time, I will be sending an AV signal to the encoder for recording of gols and penalties live which will appear on the internet via the score sheet live.

Thanks again
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Sure, please do! Although it's standard def (not really this website's focus ;-) this is quite an intriguing venture. We're always keen on getting feedback on all sorts of hands-on field experience with these new cams. I believe Adam (acgold7) is our expert here for shooting sports action, but maybe more for edited video (rather than live coverage) - TBC

For your laptop, Blackmagicdesign is also coming up next month with a SDI-to-USB adapter (H.264 Pro Recorder) with real-time scaling. Not yet available as we speak, and I'm not sure how it will fit into a live coverage workflow, but probably worth taking a look anyway.

By the way, TriCaster seems to have another model (TriCaster Broadcast) which takes 6 SDI inputs (instead of 3 composite). More expensive overall, but cheaper *per camera input*.
hughdemand

Post by hughdemand »

Thanks Stephan

Will definitely check out the BlackMagic.

I had to do a hard sell to scrape together the funds for 12 cameras ( 1 per team) and a Tricaster Pro (hoping it resides with me).

Thanks for all the help

Whit
Frank

Post by Frank »

As Stephan has indicated, that connector on the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1950 is an RF input jack, designed to accept an antenna/aerial or the RF output of a cable television converter box, for example. It's useless when teamed with almost any camcorder because camcorders virtually never have RF outputs.

It's probably an F-59 jack, by the way, not a BNC. BNC connectors, whether male or female, are rarely used on consumer products and besides, an F-59 is the connector normally used for television (and FM radio) RF signals.

Good luck with your project!

Frank, Independent Consultant, Lost somewhere in the State of New York
Read Frank's thoughts on HDV
[ also covers AVCHD (including AVCCAM & NXCAM) and XDCAM EX ].