Sony AX2000: a good colorimetry settings?

HDR-AX2000 / HXR-NX5 (2010).
FoxAdriano

Sony AX2000: a good colorimetry settings?

Post by FoxAdriano »

Hi, I have just purchased a Sony AX2000 and I am inexperienced about it.
I'd like to get a good and neutral colorimetry without modifying it in post-production.
Can you post a good settings?
Thanks
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: Sony AX2000: a good colorimetry settings?

Post by acgold7 »

My experience with most Sonys is that they are most neutral right out of the box at the default settings. You may need to experiment to decide which color settings you like best. I would personally avoid the Cinematone Gamma settings.

Congratulations on your new baby. I know you'll like it.
Adam
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

When outdoors, use the Outdoor white balance preset. When indoors under artificial lighting, it may be slightly trickier but use the Indoor white balance preset, that's your best bet. And if you want to avoid color correction in post, don't mix light sources. And you're all set.

It's surprising that such a simple solution like the Outdoor preset gives such beautiful colors in all conditions. But it's true. Be aware though that it will reveal colors that you ordinarily don't pay attention to. Like everything turning blue under the blue sky at sunset, when there is no more sun light to compensate with yellow. Or blue color under the tree shade. But such is life: the light from the blue sky gives a blue color - how else could that be? So sometimes I still do minor secondary color correction to desaturate the blue shadows, but it's a tiny nuisance, really.
goldenbearken06

Post by goldenbearken06 »

Just got my AX2000. Great camera so far.
I have been using continuous lighting for indoor shoots. The bulbs are florescent. My previous camera, a Canon seemed to compensate and kept the flesh tones normal. The Sony does not seem to like florescent lighting and turns flesh color grayish.
Any suggestions? Filters etc?
Thanks, Ken
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

Are you doing a manual WB? You might try using some "warm cards." B&H has them.

You could also try setting WB SHIFT to +2 or +3 and see if that helps, and possibly kicking up both COLOR PHASE and COLOR LEVEL a notch or two to see if you like the way that looks. Experiment and see what you like.

What is the rated color temp of your fluoros? It should say on the box. Are these regular household bulbs or made specifically for photo/video?
Adam
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

acgold7 wrote:Are you doing a manual WB? You might try using some "warm cards." B&H has them.
Or manual white balance to a pale blue shirt, or other pale blue object. This will have similar effect of using 'warm cards' and just means hunting through the wardrobe usually...