Which Flash Memory cards to consider

HDR-AX2000 / HXR-NX5 (2010).
konabrad

Which Flash Memory cards to consider

Post by konabrad »

I have been comparing specs on Sony's AVCHD cams. AX2000 and NX5 use either Memory Stick Pro Duo or SDHC flash memory. The specs say that class 4, 6 or 10 is exceptable. I know the class rating refers to the write speed; 4 is 15mb/s, 6 is 20mb/s and 10 is 30mb/s. What I don't know is does using one speed over the other make any difference to the camera? It does make a big difference in the wallet however. Also, does Memory Stick vs SD make any difference or is this a personal choice thing?

Brad
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: Which Flash Memory cards to consider

Post by acgold7 »

Well, the bitrate for the highest quality is 24 Mbps so I guess I'd go with the class 10 if it were me.

As far as which type of card, I guess it would depend on what other gear you have and what type of cards (if any) they accept. I think there isn't much price difference between the best SDHC cards and Sony Memory Sticks.

My experience is mostly limited to CF cards and the only real advice I have is that cheap cards are rarely worth the price.
Adam
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe that Flash memory speeds are in MBytes per second, and not Mbits per second. There's a factor of 8 between MB/s and Mbps.

Like for example : http://www.lexar.com/products/lexar-pro ... tegory=187
"133x (20MB/s) minimum guaranteed speed (minimum 20MB/s read transfer, write speeds lower, actual sustained speed may vary depending on host device) rated at Class 10"

(that's what they say, not me)

Mmmmmm... The plot thickens ;-)

Don't rely solely on specs.
steve

Post by steve »

The Transcend class 10 cards are known to be OK in the NX5. 16GB SDHC types are available here for as little as 16UKP.

Steve
konabrad

Post by konabrad »

I looked a little deeper into this and agree with what you guys say; especially, "don't just rely on specs". The Laxar link from Stephen states that their class 10 SDHC is a minimum 20MB/s trasfer speed whereas SanDisk says class 10 is 30MB/s. The good news (or bad) is that prices are all over the place for Memory Stick (MS) vs Secure Digital (SD). A Sony 32GB MS Pro-HG (equivelent to class 10) runs around $113 at a couple of my favorite on-line stores, vs a SanDisk 32GB SDHC Extreme III (class 10) at $160 to $200 at the same stores. So it's all over the place.

Thnaks again for the constructive discussion.

Brad