Sony AX2000 gives a sharp picture?

HDR-AX2000 / HXR-NX5 (2010).
FoxAdriano

Sony AX2000 gives a sharp picture?

Post by FoxAdriano »

Hi, in your opinion is the sharp (definition) of Sony AX2000 on average or is it a little bit weak?
About colorimetry I think it is a little bit reddish.
What are your suggestions?
Thanks
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: Sony AX2000 gives a sharp picture?

Post by Stephan »

A while ago, Arkady found that the AX2000 ships a bit soft with factory defaults. But sometimes softer can be better (cleaner image, less aliasing). Try adjusting in-camera sharpening to your preference, using a custom Picture Profile.

About color: do not use Auto White Balance when outdoors (if that's what you're doing). Depending on your expectations it's somewhat unreliable and you might end up comparing apples to oranges.
FoxAdriano

Post by FoxAdriano »

Can I know your taste, please?
I'd like to adjust in-camera sharpening "+2". In your opinion will it be a good choise?
thanks
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Sorry, I don't own one myself :-)
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

I don't have one either but it's the same chip as the Z5, which I find exceptionally sharp. I think it's really a matter of your personal taste. You must experiment with the settings to define which you personally like best, I think. Choose which suits you best for which application. Most people find HD video too sharp and turn the sharpness down a bit but that may not be your taste. It is certainly an order of magnitude sharper than the chip that was in the Z1/FX1.

I believe turning up the sharpness in the camera will add to aliasing issues.
Adam
FoxAdriano

Post by FoxAdriano »

acgold7 wrote:I don't have one either but it's the same chip as the Z5, which I find exceptionally sharp. I think it's really a matter of your personal taste.
Sure, you are right. With Sony AX2000 I will make documentaries, I think more details are important.
FoxAdriano

Post by FoxAdriano »

.... and about colorimetry I think it is a little bit reddish. Has it sense to set Ax 200 with colour "-1"?
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

Many people think Sonys tend to pump the reds a bit. If like a bit less, sure, why not? But this will likely lower all color levels a bit, not just the reds. Again, you could do this in post more easily.
Adam