Got a new HXR-NX5U

HDR-AX2000 / HXR-NX5 (2010).
John McManimie

Got a new HXR-NX5U

Post by John McManimie »

I got a new HXR-NX5U a few days ago...It is a big step up from my HDR-HC1 (though I still like the HC1 === still useful in wet weather with a housing, smaller, and infrared --- and a great second camera in good lighting).

I am very impressed by the new Active Steadyshot --- it makes it look almost as if it is on a tripod --- not much noticeable loss from the 2% digital zoom used for it.

It weighs 5 lbs 11 oz with the MIC and battery -- considerably heavier than my HC1 --- a good thing --- makes me handle it much better... :-)

Pulling clips from this camcorder is soooo easy compared to waiting for a tape to play in over firewire.

The Content Management Utility (CMU) software from Sony is simple and works quite well.

... And the GPS thing is pretty interesting... I often take videos at waterfalls, parks, different places for which I will forget the location of over time... In the CMU you just select a clip, click on Tool -> Show on Map and... wham! There it is on Google Maps. :-) You can even see it as it changes with DVMP Pro (http://www.dvmp.co.uk/player.htm#geotagging)

The files are spanned into 2GB segment on the memory cards but are merged while transferring with CMU.

Sony Vegas 9 has full support for 1080 50i/60i/24p/25p/30p and 720/50p/60p. I have no issues on my PC, which simply has one AMD dual core chip, 4 GB RAM and two nVidia GeForce 7600 video cards.

I can easily render to Cineform HD codec if I want to do color correction and it works quite well.

The picture profile settings are an awesome thing to use --- instant image control where I can set the black level, gamma, knee and color depth (I always love shooting B&W --- getting a Film Noir look is much easier with this camcorder). :-)
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: Got a new HXR-NX5U

Post by Stephan »

Thanks for your feedback! Much appreciated. I too find that the GPS feature, although seemingly a bit like a gadget, should be very useful on the long run.

Do Picture Profiles also let you adjust Sharpness?
Arkady Bolotin

Post by Arkady Bolotin »

Greeting John and my congratulations on getting a new HXR-NX5U! Hope you will share with us your first steps with the camera!

Meantime two things I ‘d like to say.

Please, take no offence, but your post sounds a little bit as a commercial, don’t you think? At least, it appeared to me that way…

Second, the picture profile settings are not for instant image control. My advice to you: never adjust the picture profile on the fly – it is almost impossible to judge what are you doing looking at the 3.2” LCD monitor (yet as fine as NX5U has). Even the operating guide recommends, “You can customize the picture quality by adjusting picture profile items such as [GAMMA] and [DETAIL]. Connect your camcorder to a TV or monitor, and adjust the picture quality while observing the picture on the TV or monitor screen”.

Good luck and happy shooting!
John McManimie

Post by John McManimie »

Well.. it isn't a commercial. I don't have any ties to Sony (other than owning two camcorders). So, sorry if it comes across that way. :-)

... And, perhaps "instant" was the wrong word to use, especially if you are a professional (I am not). I do study the changes that occur with different settings prior to going out and shooting and I use a cheat sheet so that I can be prepared for a variety of conditions and change things for which I already know the results (this has always worked well for me). So, for me, "instant" is the right word. But I understand your point. :-) ... and please feel free to correct me if I am wrong about anything --- I am still learning to use this camcorder.

Stephan, Picture Profiles do allow you to adjust Sharpness. Changes in the Detail settings sharpen (or soften) edges in an image --- you can change it for a variety of areas and also set "Crispening" (part of detail) which is supposed to prevent coarseness to image when detail is raised. I tend to like the look of lower detail settings... but then I love old movies from 1920s and 30s... :-) You can also change the black gamma --- increasing contrast tends to make things look sharper --- though this is most often done in post.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

That's what I had in mind ;-) I figured that if you like B&W, maybe you would also want to set your Picture Profile to produce a softer look.

And true enough, being prepared is key because quite often you don't have time to think when you're shooting wherever on location.