Upgrade to NX5U from FX1?

HDR-AX2000 / HXR-NX5 (2010).
Sunfox

Upgrade to NX5U from FX1?

Post by Sunfox »

I have one of the original HDR-FX1 models, bought the first month they became available in 2004. It's served me very well over the years, but of course I keep looking at the latest releases coming out. Right not the NX5U has caught my eye, primarily for the following reasons:

* 1080p - no more deinterlacing my clips (since all my content goes online anyways)
* flash-based recording - no more sitting through tape captures over firewire
* improved image stabilization - since all my work is handheld
* XLR inputs - I hate having to convert to mini jack
* 20x zoom - versus 12x
* 960k pixel screen - versus 250k

Plus the other nifty bells and whistles, such as GPS, a usable iris ring (the one on the FX1 is fairly poor) and hopefully better low light performance.

The only thing I'd miss is the fixed relationship zoom ring - I've gotten quite good with the FX1's "knob" and really like that design.

My question - would the NX5 be a useful and worthwhile upgrade, or would I better to stick with my FX1 for a while longer and wait for "the next one"? The FX1 has had an unusually long product lifecycle, and there has to be a reason for that...
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: Upgrade to NX5U from FX1?

Post by acgold7 »

While the Z1/FX1 were indeed brilliant cams in their day, and they continue to be solid, nearly indestructible workhorses, technology has really moved on and the Z5/FX1000/NX5/AX2000 are vastly superior in terms of image and features (they're all basically the same cam).

You've neatly described most of the advantages of the newer cams. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the FX1 having a fixed relationship zoom ring -- it's a free-spinning servo based ring just like all the other cams listed. To get a real mechanical zoom ring you must move up to the EX1r.

I loved my FX1's, but I love my Z5's even more. The NX5 is pretty much identical but is completely tapeless and has a few firmware tweaks. I think you'll find the upgrade worthwhile.
Adam
Sunfox

Post by Sunfox »

Actually the FX1 isn't a free spinning zoom ring - yes it's electronic, but when you don't have it set to use the toggles switches the ring on the lens mimics a manual zoom. It has limited rotation and fixed positions, so you know exactly where it's set even when the cam is off. It seems they cut that out of future models. Which is a shame, because it's what got me to start enjoying that type of zoom.
Arkady Bolotin

Post by Arkady Bolotin »

The zoom ring of Sony’s V1/FX7 and NX5/AX2000 camcorders conducts in a similar way: if you turn the ring and since that, you will touch neither the power zoom level, nor the handle zoom, the zoom will stay in the same position even though you switch the cam off.

On one occasion in this forum (to be exact, in what was before it) I showed the photo of my FX7 camcorder with limb notches (made from self-adhesive color tape) attached on its zoom ring for quick indication where the zoom position is.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

Wow, then my memory fails me and I stand corrected. Haven't had my FX1's for more than a year now so i guess I forgot about that zoom.
Adam