Sound on Sony MC2000u

Recording audio content: microphones, on-camera audio vs. stand-alone recorders, recommendations on techniques and audio-recording hardware.
charley

Sound on Sony MC2000u

Post by charley »

Hello. This is my first post.

I got my new Sony MC2000u. I', having a bit of a problem with the sound. The rubbing and movements of my hands on the plastic body and controls get picked up by the microphone. I can hear it from the headphone while on standby and on the recorded video itself. Haven't used it in any gig yet, I'm worried about it.

Is it the mic, is it the camera, or is it normal to some cameras?

Thank you for the advice and suggestions.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: Sound on Sony MC2000u

Post by acgold7 »

This is an interesting observation and it is one of the things we didn't test in our hands-on review. I guess we always assume the audio will be awful with any internal/integral mic. Sounds transferred through the body of a cam are always an issue.

But as the mic and holder are offset from the body on the MC, it's reasonable to hope that the problem you describe wouldn't be so much of an issue. Sad to see that it is.

You might try opening the mic holder and wrapping the mic with some thin foam to insulate it a bit. Otherwise, I suppose you'll just have to work really hard to minimize hand movements while you are shooting. In theory, you shouldn't have to do much adjusting while you are rolling, but obviously there may be some times when you must.
Adam
charley

Re: Sound on Sony MC2000u

Post by charley »

acgold7 wrote:This is an interesting observation and it is one of the things we didn't test in our hands-on review. I guess we always assume the audio will be awful with any internal/integral mic. Sounds transferred through the body of a cam are always an issue.

But as the mic and holder are offset from the body on the MC, it's reasonable to hope that the problem you describe wouldn't be so much of an issue. Sad to see that it is.

You might try opening the mic holder and wrapping the mic with some thin foam to insulate it a bit. Otherwise, I suppose you'll just have to work really hard to minimize hand movements while you are shooting. In theory, you shouldn't have to do much adjusting while you are rolling, but obviously there may be some times when you must.
Thanks for the reply acgold.

The problem as I see comes from the camera body being hollow, not much inside it, coupled with it being plastic. Even the handle produces sounds that gets picked up from the mic, especially when the audio rec is set to Normal (fixed). I put on diy deadcat using a furry seat belt accessory, and it minimized the problem. Yeah, more careful operation especially handheld is the best way to avoid it. Or have the mic on a boom, or use lapel set, although I haven't tried those.