HVR-V1U Lav Mic

Recording audio content: microphones, on-camera audio vs. stand-alone recorders, recommendations on techniques and audio-recording hardware.
dlowery

HVR-V1U Lav Mic

Post by dlowery »

Hey everyone,

Okay I got my Sony HVR-V1U in and I totally love it. I am so glad I decided to up to this camera. While the shotgun mic does a pretty descent job it doesn't seem to pick up quite as good as my HVR HD1000U does with the 1/4" input mic.

I would like to pick up a couple of wireless lavalier mics to use with my HVR-V1U (this is why I went with this camera was for the XLR mic input). I will use the HVR-V1U for all my primary footage and then shoot all my "B Roll" with the HVR HD1000U.

I have looked at the wireless lavalier mic with XLR connections and the best "Intro" level mic I can come up with is the Sony UWP-V1. Problem is it runs hi 400 to low 500.
I need (2) of them to pull off my intentions so that's over 1,000.00 bucks.

Does anyone know of a rather descent wireless lavalier system that I can pick up for a little less than what the UWP-V1 is running?

Thanks in advance.
"D"
Doughie
Global Moderator

Re: HVR-V1U Lav Mic

Post by Doughie »

Yes, the Sony UWP-V1 is a very nice bit of equipment. They upgraded this about a year ago or so.
this is a UHF transmitter/receiver system.

The other 'standard' recommendation is Sennheiser G3 Evolution. Again thats pricey.

VHF systems tend to be less expensive than UHF but don't perform quite as well generally.
There is an Audio-Technica VHF system that i have heard works quite well and is around US$150 or something like that.

Are you using this stuff professionally / commercially D??
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

I'm also looking at wireless lavs and I keep coming back to the Senny and the Sony. For decent performance, there's no way around that price point, I'm afraid. I feel your pain. Just remember that good mics, like good tripods, will outlast many generations of cams.
Adam
dlowery

Post by dlowery »

Doughie thanks for the reply, yes I am doing some professional stuff, weddings, senior moments, and some commercial stuff like an up cuming music festival next month.

I already do radio voicing kind of semi comercial stuff and work with some of the industries best talent. I would have really liked to have a nice lav system in place for a wedding I have coming up next weekend, but I am just going to have to wait till I make some money back in order to do this deal.

I already have a pretty penny wrapped up in cameras, lights, software and all that jazz. It's funny how quick the cash can add up, but then like both you and acgold7 stated. If you want quality, you are going to pay for it.

I have a web site at http://www.sierravistaphoto.biz/
. I havn't put up any video yet, still working on that part, but soon to come.

Anyhow, thanks for the input.

"D"
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

personally i would save up and buy the Sony or the Sennheiser. both are now i believe true diversity systems (twin aerials and the system automatically switches between them to get optimum reception etc).

They're both fairly pricey, i know, but given that you are doing weddings and other commercial stuff, i think it's worth it.

Speaking of lav mics, i just bought 2 Giant Squid Audio omni-directional wired lav mics. They're very inexpensive but reputedly good. I am going to test them out hopefully this weekend and see how they are. No, they're not wireless, but they're the quick and easy solution in a setup like an interview or something similar. I may run them connected to my Zoom H4N as a backup audio, and have my shotgun Rode mic as on-camera audio. A few options there.