PAL to NTSC in Vegas 9 pro

Edit your videos. Upload them to the web. Burn blu-rays and DVDs. Colors look odd maybe? Fix'em in post, then!
Kale

PAL to NTSC in Vegas 9 pro

Post by Kale »

I have large project which I should convert to NTSC Blu-rays and DVDs. What would be the easiest workflow for this? The project includes fast movement with hundreds of cuts and just rendering the files to NTSC gives me “half mixed frames” in cuts. All originals are XDCAM EX files shot in 50i HD best quality.

What about the Blu-rays (Sony Vegas AVCHD), should I change them to 60i or are all BR players able to play both formats.

One more thing which I am not sure about in Vegas 9 pro, is it able to make clean cuts when only the uppermost file is in precise frames and other files are synchronized with the sound.

The BR format 60i, is it actually twice the NTSC speed (29,97f/sec) or is it exactly 60.

I appreciate help in this matter.
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: PAL to NTSC in Vegas 9 pro

Post by Stephan »

Kale wrote:What about the Blu-rays (Sony Vegas AVCHD), should I change them to 60i or are all BR players able to play both formats.
Let's take for example the PlayStation 3 which did not fully support 50i when it was first released, it performed instead a 50i-to-60i conversion on the fly (with all the stuttering). It took a couple of years until 2008 when it was able to play 50i as 50i. And even though, that feature isn't activated by default, you need to go to the system menu and activate it, otherwise 50i is played 60i - by default.

There's a history of US video equipment to support only 60Hz, whereas European video equipment usually supports both 60Hz and 50Hz. So, all in all, I wouldn't assume that the masses in the US would be able to play your 50i contents correctly. Better distribute 60i.

Which leads to the key question: how to convert 50i to 60i without destroying quality too much. You will either lose some resolution, or fluid motion, or both. I was never able to find a simple and good solution, it seems to pertain to high-end professional converters that are used by broadcast studios (same technology as motion interpolation and MPEG compression).

60i is 59.94 Hz.

Sorry, can't help you myself with Vegas.