Video Editing Tutorial

Edit your videos. Upload them to the web. Burn blu-rays and DVDs. Colors look odd maybe? Fix'em in post, then!
sugarkang

Video Editing Tutorial

Post by sugarkang »

Hi. Can anyone point me to go a good tutorial for video editing? It can be either Adobe Premiere or Sony Vegas. I don't care if it's for Premiere Pro or Essentials. Similarly, I don't care if it's Vegas Pro or Movie Studio. So, either Adobe or Sony and I'm not open to any other programs like AVC, etc.

YouTube vids would be awesome. I've found some, but they were confusing and generally not helpful. What I'd really like is the tutorial to do a step by step, hands on type of editing so that I actually do some editing. What I do not want is someone to just "explain" a bunch of stuff and describe a bunch of features that I won't use.

To clarify, I want a guy to say something like, "in this video we are going to trim a video." Then, he'll show me the exact steps to trim it. Basically, it should be easy enough for a retard like me to get it.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: Video Editing Tutorial

Post by acgold7 »

Check out Lynda.com or Creative Cow, as well as the Adobe website and help pages, which will link you to many tutorials.

[Moved to Video Editing Forum.]
Adam
sugarkang

Post by sugarkang »

Ok cool, I'll check those out. Also, I'm sorry I posted this in the wrong forum. I wanted to keep this in AVCHD forums because that's the format that I'm using.

EDIT: I checked out Lynda.com. I should have mentioned that I wanted free tutorials :)
And also, tutorials need to be in video format and not just a bunch of text. I want to be able to follow what a person is doing on video.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

Yes, they're all video tutorials, not just text. The Adobe stuff is free and you can, I believe, get 30-day free memberships at Lynda. You can download Vegas and try it for free. Premiere you can download but you can't do Hi Def with the trial.

But you get what you pay for. You can't insist on free and then complain it's crappy YouTube stuff. It's YouTube -- of course it's crappy.

Here's an Adobe link which leads to others:

http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-premiere-pro-cs5/
Adam
sugarkang

Post by sugarkang »

I appreciate your reply. A lot of times those official videos have a bit too much info in them to really be useful. Beginners really don't care about things like the difference between NTSC and PAL, interlaced and progressive. I found a couple of YouTube videos that were really helpful. Helpful videos tend to do less explaining and more hand holding. That is, rather than explain away a bunch of features that I don't care about, a helpful video will say click this and click that and possibly explain why we are clicking it. So, by the end of the video, you should have an actual created and finalized product in your hands, rather than trying to remember what your instructor just rambled on about for 10 minutes.

I've managed to create a video in Adobe Premiere based off of several YouTube videos that I've found. If you want to watch it, it's here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukvuI5tUwLE
It's an overview of my iPad that I have for sale. It's totally overkill for a craigslist advert, but I needed something to do while learning Premiere. In the video, I managed to do fade in and fade out for both video and audio. Added a backing track and adjusted volume with keyframes. Added a narration track. Titles in and out. Learned how to encode for YouTube and upload it.

Not bad considering this was my first time with Premiere.