Sony HVR-V1E - Can't capture using Adobe

Edit your videos. Upload them to the web. Burn blu-rays and DVDs. Colors look odd maybe? Fix'em in post, then!
lgtramp

Sony HVR-V1E - Can't capture using Adobe

Post by lgtramp »

Hi. I have a Sony HVR-V1E HD Camcorder and have previously had access to a university Mac with Final Cut but now I don't have that luxury. I do not seem able to capture using Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 (and I have also tried a trial copy of Power Director and that can't 'read from the device' either). Please can anyone help as I desperately need to edit some film which is now two weeks past it's promised date. Adobe PP is installed on a Windows XP 64-bit machine.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: Sony HVR-V1E - Can't capture using Adobe

Post by acgold7 »

We'd all love to help but cannot possibly do so unless we know more. Saying "I can't capture; please help" is like saying "I can't start my car; what should I do?"

If you can't capture this is almost always due to a settings mismatch somewhere, assuming this is a full paid (not trial) version of Premiere, properly installed and registered. If you shot and are trying to capture HDV, make sure you are not downconverting in the cam and have set up an HDV project in Premiere and are telling it to capture (look for) HDV in the capture window; also confirm you have set Device Control to HDV as well. There are a million settings at both ends and you must make sure they are all consistent.

This is all assuming Windows sees the device and your Firewire port is good.

But really, unless we know what exact steps you are taking and what the result is, we can't know what to tell you.

[I've edited your thread title to correct the model name of your cam and put it in the correct forum.]
Adam
lgtramp

Post by lgtramp »

You would be my hero if you could talk me through this connection!! It is a full registered version of Adobe. I have got as far as creating a project as you said but now I have a choice of HDV presets and I don't have a clue (it really is a bit like a girl with a car!!) The student that normally does this and now can't has left me with a real problem as the kids are waiting for the promised copies of their show video. Perhaps facebook chat might be quicker if you are willing
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

First we have to know what you are shooting, DV (SD) or HDV. Then we must know how you have decided to import (capture) and edit. Everything will be much simpler if you decide to go HDV all the way, but if you have a PC that is still running XP it may not be able to handle it.

Again, we must know everything about all your settings when you shot, everything about all your PC components, and everything about how you intend to edit this and how you intend to deliver this and why and then we can help you with the best way to do this with the minimum amount of fuss and crashing and agony.

It's best to do this publicly here on the forum so all can benefit from your travails. Just stay logged on and refresh every minute or so and it will be the same as live chat.
Adam
lgtramp

Post by lgtramp »

Thanks for your attention. Unfortunately I have to go to Birmingham first thing tomorrow so it will be at least Monday before I can get back to the problem but hopefully you might still be able to help me. As far as I can see it has definitely been shot in HDV and I am certainly attempting to capture in HDV. Perhaps XP is the problem!! The computer can see the Sony Cam and the firewire cable has been checked and seems to be ok. The computer did not have internet access but I have just moved it so it can go online to check the camera if necessary. Hope to communicate Monday. Thanks.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

If your computer can see the cam as a device, then it's a good start. The next steps are to:
- Check VCR settings in the cam : VCR play mode must be set to HDV (not DV nor AUTO), and DV downconversion must be set to OFF.
- Check the correct preset in Premiere. As you're in the UK (PAL country), you need to choose HDV 1920x1080 50i.

From that point, if it still "doesn't work", you will really need to describe in detail what's happening to you when you try to capture the tapes. Note that the camera will also play the video on its built-in LCD while you're capturing, so it's a good idea to watch it at the same time, so you can have a clue whether the cam is playing the tapes as you intend it to.