Rain Video

Want to share a great video? Your own work of art or someone else's? This is the place. Get ready for constructive feedback (mostly ;-) or maybe tar & feathers!
dlowery

Rain Video

Post by dlowery »

Okay here is a video I did a couple months ago with my Sony HVR-HD1000U.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIz1TuaSA10

Funny thing is that I was only playing around capturing video and the result i think is pretty good. Seems as when i am trying to capture good video it come out bad, but when I am just playing around the videos turn out pretty good.

Go figure...
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: Rain Video

Post by Stephan »

I ordinarily keep timeline segments between 3-5s, or very exceptionally up to 7-10s at most when the scene really requires it. Any longer than that, and you risk losing your audience.
GK2047-10B

Post by GK2047-10B »

This moment I am testing the capabilities of my Sony AX2000E and not surprisingly here in The Netherlands it is raining a lot. So I will be facing regular rain scenes, I expect. Therefor I found your rain video interesting to see and may copy some of your filming ideas. Am I correct to see your settings are about F5.6 shutter speed 1/50s to 1/100s? I would try so make scenes with F5.6 at shutter speed 1/150x to 1/500s to get more sparkling rain spots on the leaves and ground. Is this something you can agree upon or have you, in the meantime, best practice experience to guide me?
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

The most important rule when shooting rain -- if you actually want to see the raindrops falling -- is that the rain must be backlit against a dark background.

During the famous "Singin' in the Rain" dance sequence, the studio lights were just above the top of the frame, pointed directly at the camera. Many retakes had to be done for each shot because they kept getting the lights in the shot.

A faster shutter speed will help isolate the drops more, but will result in stuttery motion. It's a trade-off.
Adam
GK2047-10B

Post by GK2047-10B »

Great help, till be testing "Rain drops in Holland" it soon and try to show (upload) results soon